Yamaha F150 Harmonic Balancers

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just had my yearly oil change /service twin Yam F150 2004. The mechanic stated "the harmonic balancers are noisy (loud) should be replaced. Has anyone had this happen. The balancer gears are plastic and will wear and create some noise, but what is the life of this part.
Thanks Jim

seasick

Reaction score
I never heard of this issue. keep me posted

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After talking with several Yamaha shops/mechanics, this is a problem. Their was no recall, but Yamaha acknowledged they had a bad batch of Hamonic Balancers (it mounts on the block and is driven by the crank to keep the motor from shaking itself to death).

Yamaha has decided to have the mechanic (after hearing a loud whine) to call them. They then get the go ahead to inspect the oil for debris/particles and to inspect the Hamonic Balancer/gears for wear. The shop then takes pictures and emails them to Yamaha and they decide whether they are going to change the block also (excessive wear/damage from particles).
They are doing this in or out of warranty. I don't know if this pertains to all models, but if you were to pay for this, it's around $1000 Bucks !

This is not advertised by Yamaha (obvious reasons) and some shops, mine on the West Coast did not know (some know out here/ some don't).