Yamaha Gas Gauge

jakem33

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yamaha 225 on my 225 Tournament.
The gas gauge quit. It is the original that is part of the 2 gauges that came with the boat.
Any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
jakem33 said:
I have a 2005 Yamaha 225 on my 225 Tournament.
The gas gauge quit. It is the original that is part of the 2 gauges that came with the boat.
Any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks.
What does the gauge quit mean. If digital display, is it blank or does it just not display the correct level.
Upon power up (ignition turned on) the gauge if digital will go through a self test where all bars will display and then change to actual reading.
99 out of 100 times, assuming the gauge still displays something, the sender or sender wires are the culprit

jwsonas

Reaction score
I also have the same problem on my digital gauge, tank level remains unchanged (but still reads). I was told the sender was the issue, as mentioned. I am unable to remove the sender from my tank, one of the thru-bolt heads is stripped. Can't drill it out at risk of debris entering the fuel mix, so I'm stuck with it.
With the Yamaha Fuel Management System, I simply track the number of gallons burned (knowing I have a 93 gal. tank) after fill-up.
Try this if no luck with the sender.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The sender is likely bad. Easy fix but getting the old one out can be a challenge.

If the head is stripped, try gently filing a slot into it so you can use a slotted screwdriver.

It goes without saying, but this is a job for either manual or air tools. The slightest spark from a power or battery operated tool can ruin your day....

seasick

Reaction score
jwsonas said:
I also have the same problem on my digital gauge, tank level remains unchanged (but still reads). I was told the sender was the issue, as mentioned. I am unable to remove the sender from my tank, one of the thru-bolt heads is stripped. Can't drill it out at risk of debris entering the fuel mix, so I'm stuck with it.
With the Yamaha Fuel Management System, I simply track the number of gallons burned (knowing I have a 93 gal. tank) after fill-up.
Try this if no luck with the sender.
I am not saying that drilling is the best option but I wouldn't worry at all about the filings from the drilling. They will settle to the bottom of the tank and even if sucked up will be blocked by the fuel filter

grady23

Reaction score
Chances are that the hole in the aluminum tank is stripped and not the screw. Try to get a knife blade or very thin screwdriver blade under the head of the screw. While backing out the screw, apply upward force on the underside of the screw head. It may catch enough metal in the tank to began backing out. If this fails, try a pair of vice grips with the long narrow jaws. You may need to file a flat spot on opposing sides of the screw to get a bite on it. I would replace it with a sender from WEMA. the senders in my '97 were replaced with WEMA senders 12 yrs ago and still work fine. Once you get the old screw out, use some J B weld to fill the hole and then drill it out with a hand drill or air powered drill.