Yamaha lower unit oil question

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A buddy of mine found same thing in marina - seen oil coming out of drain plug on Yamaha motor.

The plugs need to be incredibly tight I'v e been told by Yamah mechanic, more than I'd ever believe being they are so small. Can't get the spec'd torque on a screwdriver handle unless it is huge.

And finding a spark plug loose suggests a graduate of The Shoemaker School of Marine Memchanics worked on your motor, another proud alumnus.

You have a very expensive piece of machiery there, find a proper place to get it serviced, or do what I do, do it yourself.
The very reason that started me as a DIYer, my cheery was popped at age 17.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
BobP said:
And finding a spark plug loose suggests a graduate of The Shoemaker School of Marine Memchanics worked on your motor, another proud alumnus.

You have a very expensive piece of machiery there, find a proper place to get it serviced, or do what I do, do it yourself.

Hey man

I do not appreciate that comment about MMI, actually the school SUX!

I graduated from there 3 years ago, but i knew my shit before going there!

Yes 90% of the kids that go there have no freak n clue what is going on!!

I take pride in all the work i do, i even triple check my work and water test every boat i work on!!!

I'm $80hr and come to your boat also, service a multi-million dollar yacht club also, well trying to manage my own shop

I'm trying to start a grady club here, but the local dealer are fools and i have heard more bad stuff about them in the past week than i have ever heard!

It gives me a bad name also as a TECH!

Anyways, I'm here to Help Grady people, but that might change to Viking people also!! I might get a sweet deal on a 65!!!!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
BobP said:
A buddy of mine found same thing in marina - seen oil coming out of drain plug on Yamaha motor.

The plugs need to be incredibly tight I'v e been told by Yamah mechanic, more than I'd ever believe being they are so small. Can't get the spec'd torque on a screwdriver handle unless it is huge.

Huh? I'm a bit confused by this post. Who had a spark plug loose?

For lower unit drain plugs, we've always used a big screwdriver with a hex or square shaft to put a wrench on it to get the extra 1/2 turn on the screw. That's the reason I was confused about oil dripping out around the plug 6 months and 100+ hours after the lower unit oil was changed without a drop of water in the oil. Had the plugs been that loose all season, I would have emptied oil that looked like coffee with cream. Seemed like someone came by and pulled the plugs sometime between when the boat was last in the water and when I discovered it.

In any case, the symptom of lower unit oil dripping from the pitot tube hole was correctly diagnosed by the guys on this forum, and we changed out both the drive shaft seal and shift shaft seal. Should be good to go!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A Viking 65?

When can I move in?

The Shoemaker School of Marine Mechanics accepts only the most qualified candidates!