yes or no for Zinc

Jaeger Grady

Reaction score
Would you all suggest putting zinc's on my trim tabs? I have new ones on the engines.

noXcuse

Reaction score
Most all trim tabs are stainless steel. I personally wouldn't put zincs on them. My old man's last boat sat in the water in the Lower Chesapeake for years, and never had any corrosion on the tabs.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GYP-SEA said:
I have them on my 247 and replace them every 6 mths, the ones on my engins last at least 2 years.
Does your 247 stay in the water and is 2 years about the normal for replacing zinks?

nerd

Reaction score
While trying to troubleshoot an issue with my tabs, I sent Bennett a picture of mine, and they pointed out that I should have zincs installed.

I'm in saltwater 24x7, and saw the corrosion that the zinc on my outboard bracket got, figured it was cheap insurance. Boatzincs.com had ones that installed right into the tab end for $15, wasn't worth taking the risk and skipping it IMO.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
nerd said:
While trying to troubleshoot an issue with my tabs, I sent Bennett a picture of mine, and they pointed out that I should have zincs installed.

I'm in saltwater 24x7, and saw the corrosion that the zinc on my outboard bracket got, figured it was cheap insurance. Boatzincs.com had ones that installed right into the tab end for $15, wasn't worth taking the risk and skipping it IMO.

Yep. Bennett recommends them and mine are usually pretty well beat up by the end of the season. I realize that everyplace is somewhat different but we arent really speaking about a lot of money to put them on. Cheap insurance because never know when someone near your boat will have a problem with their shore power etc and will put some stray current into the water. Better the zinc takes the brunt .

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Yes to zincs on trim tabs. I replace mine every year. They take the brunt of my zinc ware on my boat that is in salt water 7 months a year. Because of the trim tab zincs my engine zincs last 2 to 3 seasons and they are easier and less expensive than Yamaha zincs.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Another yes to zincs on tabs. And, like others, I see them wearing our faster than the engine zincs. This is a good thing I think...