Electronics cost

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Hello,
I recently purchased a 335 Freedom. I will be working with my dealer on an electronics package. What should I expect to pay for a nice electronics package with twin 16” screens, radar, etc…? I’m just looking for a ballpark number.
Thank you very much.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Twin 16" Garmin 8616xsv's run around $6,100 or so a piece, and radar is around $2k-$12k+ depending on which model and style you go with. Plus dealer install and depending on what else you go with... transducers, auto pilot and so forth. I'd say a very conservative estimate would be at least $15-$16k, maybe even up to $20k, maybe more? Again, it just depends on what you go with in terms of brands, sizes, etc. What's your budget?

Last edited:

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
That’s exactly what I needed and much appreciated. I was thinking approximately 20K installed. Thank you!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That’s exactly what I needed and much appreciated. I was thinking approximately 20K installed. Thank you!
I mean if you were on a bit more of a budget you could always go the less expensive route with twin Garmin 1243xsv's at $3k a piece and then get radar at around $2k or so. That would put you in the $10k range installed, instead of $20k, but it would also mean 12" displays as opposed to 16's.

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I may go that route, but I’m an old captain and my eyesight is not the best. That’s why I’m leaning toward the 16’s. Great information though. This really helps. Thank you

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
There are lots of combinations. Where are you and how do you plan to use the boat?

seasick

Reaction score
Was the boat new or used? Does it already have an electronics package? If so, the estimates and suggestions will be different. And as mentioned, you need to define your needs and wants.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
To the numbers above you should add 600-2500 $ for a transducer, depending for what you use it.
600$ will be the cheapest solution to see depth, a good generic transducer for fishing will be around 1000-12000$ and 2500$ highest for a B275 1KW to reach 3000 ft of real deep deep dropping.
Well then are 2 and 3 KW transducers and there price is 4-5500$ but for most a overkill.

There are a lot of different kind transducers and you should carefully choose the right one for what you need it and the kind of fishing you do, if you fish.

You may check prices on other places than your dealer, it may be cheaper but installation can be more expensive.

Include also installation cost what can be expensive

You may check the difference between 12" and 16" installed on a similar boat,
I think 2 x 12" is for most enough, but certainly twin 16" are nicer but much more expensive.

If you can afford/willing to pay 20K for twin Garmin 9019 then you will get absolutely amazing 4K resolution devices, the most powerful with the highest screen resolution on the market.
But not sure if they fit your console.

Chris

Last edited:

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
my initial thought was $20k, but like others said, it will vary. do you want an ultra-low light camera? FLIR? are you using radar to navigate in fog, or spot birds miles away?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
To the numbers above you should add 600-2500 $ for a transducer, depending for what you use it.
600$ will be the cheapest solution to see depth, a good generic transducer for fishing will be around 1000-12000$ and 2500$ highest for a B275 1KW to reach 3000 ft of real deep deep dropping.
Well then are 2 and 3 KW transducers and there price is 4-5500$ but for most a overkill.

There are a lot of different kind transducers and you should carefully choose the right one for what you need it and the kind of fishing you do, if you fish.

You may check prices on other places than your dealer, it may be cheaper but installation can be more expensive.

Include also installation cost what can be expensive

You may check the difference between 12" and 16" installed on a similar boat,
I think 2 x 12" is for most enough, but certainly twin 16" are nicer but much more expensive.

If you can afford/willing to pay 20K for twin Garmin 9019 then you will get absolutely amazing 4K resolution devices, the most powerful with the highest screen resolution on the market.
But not sure if they fit your console.

Chris
A couple of things here would be that the Garmin 9019 isn't a 16" screen, it's a 19" screen and an extra 6" total of screen space added to the helm area might not workout out in terms of space. Second would be that one could add, though not that they necessarily should, a transducer for around $300 that will have traditional, ClearVu and SideVu sonar capabilities. Though again, if you're going to be spending $20k potentially on electronics upgrades, then it's probably a bit better of an idea to get a better transducer. Lastly, I can't imagine most, if any, sports-fisherman need a transducer that's capable of going up to 3k feet in depth...?

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Do you have to purchase the electronics through the dealer? If you purchase them yourself through a place like GPS Store, you might get a better price and be able to eliminate sales tax. Where I live, tax on $15k is $1,275. $15k is about the minimum you’re going to pay for two 16” chartplotters, a transducer, and a radar. I have a pair of 12” Garmins, but still remember when I thought an 8” color chartplotter was big.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I'd budget $25k.

Are you including a VHF, radio, antennas, GPS antenna, a mount for the RADAR, autopilot?

Plus, there are going to be a bunch of incidentals: cables, sealants, antenna mounts, misc. hardware, etc. It adds up pretty qickly.

At the risk of spending your money, get what you want the first time.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
A couple of things here would be that the Garmin 9019 isn't a 16" screen, it's a 19" screen and an extra 6" total of screen space added to the helm area might not workout out in terms of space. Second would be that one could add, though not that they necessarily should, a transducer for around $300 that will have traditional, ClearVu and SideVu sonar capabilities. Though again, if you're going to be spending $20k potentially on electronics upgrades, then it's probably a bit better of an idea to get a better transducer. Lastly, I can't imagine most, if any, sports-fisherman need a transducer that's capable of going up to 3k feet in depth...?
Yes I know, that's why I wrote that I don't know if 19" fit OP's console.

Thats also what I wrote, that OP should decide carefully what transducer he will choose and that can be from 300$ to nearly 6000$. All depend on what he want to do with it.

A some sport fisher have a 3kw transducer, not really to reach 9000ft,
but to have better signals on shallower depths and that include for example daytime sword fishing. I have a TM265LH connected to a GSD26 and reach easily 5000 ft but fished till now max 3300 ft, but if I find a interesting deeper spot I would try deeper.

Only OP knows what use he will make of a fish finder and he did not communicated it,
so I listed from the cheapest to the most expensive solution the possibilities.

However,
considering that he bought a Freedom model I guess he is not too hard in fishing,
but more in cruising, so a not too advanced solution would be just fine.
But that's a guess!

Chris

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes I know, that's why I wrote that I don't know if 19" fit OP's console.

Thats also what I wrote, that OP should decide carefully what transducer he will choose and that can be from 300$ to nearly 6000$. All depend on what he want to do with it.

A some sport fisher have a 3kw transducer, not really to reach 9000ft,
but to have better signals on shallower depths and that include for example daytime sword fishing. I have a TM265LH connected to a GSD26 and reach easily 5000 ft but fished till now max 3300 ft, but if I find a interesting deeper spot I would try deeper.

Only OP knows what use he will make of a fish finder and he did not communicated it,
so I listed from the cheapest to the most expensive solution the possibilities.

However,
considering that he bought a Freedom model I guess he is not too hard in fishing,
but more in cruising, so a not too advanced solution would be just fine.
But that's a guess!

Chris
You've actually put your gear down to 3,300 feet in water depth? What are you fishing for down that deep? Also, per the Garmin website it looks like they have one 3kw transducer and that's likely because hardly anyone is going to spend almost $7k just for a transducer. Of which most people also aren't going to likely fish down to 3k feet, not to mention close to 10k feet in depth.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
You've actually put your gear down to 3,300 feet in water depth? What are you fishing for down that deep?
Yes,
using a chicken rig and 4 lbs sinker, Tanacom 1200 and a 50-80lbs trolling rod
Works well to 1 knot drift, 0.5 knot is better, that's why I need mostly glassy sea or breeze opposite sea current direction

But mostly I fish between 1500 and 2500 ft, more practical and faster to sink and haul up.

I fish for Dogfish, wreck fish (Grouper), European Hake, Atlantic Pomfret, Black Ruff, Scabbardfish
Most targeted is Blackspot Seabream, very tasty!

The photo was a test ho deep my setup would reach and I am more than satisfied, the other a 44lbs wreckfish

Attachments

• Sunset Sardinia.jpeg
    Sunset Sardinia.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 3300ft.jpeg
    3300ft.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Wreckfish.jpeg
    Wreckfish.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dang, that's one ugly looking fish. A little different out here, the deepest area of the Puget Sound is only about 930' deep. We have dogfish, cabezon, lingcod, rockfish and other fish that can oftentimes be down several hundred feet or more. But I've also caught dogfish quite often fishing in 40'-100' of water.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Dang, that's one ugly looking fish. A little different out here, the deepest area of the Puget Sound is only about 930' deep. We have dogfish, cabezon, lingcod, rockfish and other fish that can oftentimes be down several hundred feet or more. But I've also caught dogfish quite often fishing in 40'-100' of water.
:D

A lot of them pop out their eyes from pressure rise, not very nice to think about that ...

I forgot to mention the giant calamari, European flying squid

Attachments

• blackspot seabream.jpeg
    blackspot seabream.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
  • pomfret.jpeg
    pomfret.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Giant calamari.jpeg
    Giant calamari.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 6

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Back to the original question

If @Mortcat would explain a bit more detailed if and how he fish then more accurate hints regarding the fish finder could be given.

Chris

Mortcat

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Thank you to all that weighed in. This is really helpful information. I don’t fish. I take my family , grandkids, to the Vineyard, Nantucket, Cuttyhunk, etc…. Looking for radar for fog, not birds. Looking at the bigger screens because my eyesight isn’t like it was. I’m not sure what screens will fit at this point. I will look into that.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thank you to all that weighed in. This is really helpful information. I don’t fish. I take my family , grandkids, to the Vineyard, Nantucket, Cuttyhunk, etc…. Looking for radar for fog, not birds. Looking at the bigger screens because my eyesight isn’t like it was. I’m not sure what screens will fit at this point. I will look into that.
That's what we we need to help. All these wild responses with no background are a waste.

If you are inclined to go with Garmin I would recommend a GMR 18 Fantom radar. You have the option to go bigger and open array if you like. I would recommend the 8612xsv (or 2 of them if you like) because of the higher resolution over the 1243xsv. The 9000 series offers 4k resolution in a 19" display but that may beyond your price range and needs. There are a number of transducers that will work for you that are inexpensive and work well since you are not fishing.

I have a 8612xsv and a 8610xsv on my boat. Also a GMR 18 Fantom.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini