Suspension Shock Absorbing Mounts for Helm Seat

ReelinTime

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 2016 232 Grady here on the west coast of Canada. Wondering if anyone has mounted some type of shock absorbing mount under their helm seat. I was already to purchase one from Shockwave until I found out they do not have a adaptor plate to mount to the boat and was told would have to build some type of new custom bulkhead to make it work. There has got to be some other folks out there with back problems that need or want some shock absorbing type of mount under your helm seat that is professional and WORKS?????
This is what I was trying to get to work: https://harbourchandler.ca/shockwav...4bvSs_qniZwSilLtVLl51AhToIE8TeQAaAut9EALw_wcB

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't see why that can't be adapted to fit? Correct me if I'm wrong, but your "seat" consists of: Chair... slider... spider... pole... base. I can see that fitting between the spider and the slider. Whether it "fits right in" with the existing holes, I'm not sure. But it's not a big deal to drill new holes. BUT... depending on how much higher this puts your butt, you may want to eliminate the spider/pole/mount. Still totally doable.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've never purchased any suspension seats before, nor do I have much experience or knowledge on them. There are a multitude of companies out there that offer their own products, of which a couple of them are posted below. If I were to seriously consider one, I think it would be the first link I've posted from Allsalt as they look to have a very nice product, and even have a video at the bottom of their page showing their setup in a Grady White 282 possibly? They aren't cheap in that they start off at around $1,600 per pedestal, but they look like a nice product. Some of the Springfield products in the last link look pretty decent as well, especially with regards to the pricing.

Reactions: ReelinTime

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some ideas that are not inexpensive...

No matter what route you go these things are another complicated assembly that will likely need attention at some point - thus I'm not a fan.
If you need it, then that is another issue and I'd look for something that is overbuilt.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check out the forums for the whitewater jetboat boys. They use those a lot. They are standard issue on some models. There are some good ones out there.
Bostrum is a name I remember from my whitewater days. They are top shelf though.

ReelinTime

Reaction score
Turning out to be alot more difficult than I thought it was going to me. The factory pedestal is only 6" tall from bottom of base to the top of the pedestal where it connects to the seat swivel/fore aft assembly. The X4 Shoxs pedestal from Allsalt.com looked to be the best answer but even cutting a hole to allow the bottom portion to go into the seat box (which only allows for 7.2") would still make it 10.5" tall and that 3.5 extra inches just makes the seat too high!

ReelinTime

Reaction score
I don't see why that can't be adapted to fit? Correct me if I'm wrong, but your "seat" consists of: Chair... slider... spider... pole... base. I can see that fitting between the spider and the slider. Whether it "fits right in" with the existing holes, I'm not sure. But it's not a big deal to drill new holes. BUT... depending on how much higher this puts your butt, you may want to eliminate the spider/pole/mount. Still totally doable.
We looked at it closely but you end up sitting waaaay too high!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So... you "could" eliminate the slider/swivel assembly and lose a couple more inches. Would that be enough? How high is the shockwave to start with? How much will it compress under normal body weight? If you make a wide box (raised floor) to put on the floor (would give you storage, too), would that help? What about a sturdy, folding footstep against the cabin wall? Just trying to think of ideas, here... :)

ReelinTime

Reaction score
So... you "could" eliminate the slider/swivel assembly and lose a couple more inches. Would that be enough? How high is the shockwave to start with? How much will it compress under normal body weight? If you make a wide box (raised floor) to put on the floor (would give you storage, too), would that help? What about a sturdy, folding footstep against the cabin wall? Just trying to think of ideas, here... :)
You could eliminate the slider/swivel assembly but my passion is fishing and that seat is swivelling constantly, gotta have a swivel seat assembly. I could have gone to a slimmer seat, more firm, which is actually recommended when going to impact absorbing pedestals, however another issue that came up is the Allsalt X4 is 10" around at the base and will stick out over the top of the seat box. Just plain does not work and look professional if installed. Could move it inward towards the starboard side but then not entered on the steering when, frustrating to say the least!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How far over the edge would the Allsalt base stick over? You could trim the base. Missing one securement bolt wouldn't affect anything - and you shore it up better if needed. Some boats come standard with a "clipped" base.

I suppose, in the end, it comes down to form vs function and that, of course, is 100% your call.

ReelinTime

Reaction score
How far over the edge would the Allsalt base stick over? You could trim the base. Missing one securement bolt wouldn't affect anything - and you shore it up better if needed. Some boats come standard with a "clipped" base.

I suppose, in the end, it comes down to form vs function and that, of course, is 100% your call.
Actually was at the Factory in Victoria and met with one of the engineers and although I brought up the same subject, it just can't be done the way they are made. Further, these are not cheap, will be about $3500 prior to install so for that money you want it looking proper and professional. I will keep looking, talking with Grady as well, shocked actually they do not offer something as I am not the only person with back issues that loves boating am sure!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is there a difference in height between your 2016 GW 232 Gulfstream and a brand new one? Because on the GW website they show the below picture of height of the pedestals on a brand new GW 232 Gulfstream and it looks more like 9"-10" as opposed to only 6". I'd think the X4 should be able to make that work, and there's a couple of pictures of the X4 installed on two different boats under the "Installations" section of their website. One of which is again a Grady White, which would make me think that it should be able to work.

GW 232 Gulfstream Seats.jpg

ReelinTime

Reaction score
Is there a difference in height between your 2016 GW 232 Gulfstream and a brand new one? Because on the GW website they show the below picture of height of the pedestals on a brand new GW 232 Gulfstream and it looks more like 9"-10" as opposed to only 6". I'd think the X4 should be able to make that work, and there's a couple of pictures of the X4 installed on two different boats under the "Installations" section of their website. One of which is again a Grady White, which would make me think that it should be able to work.

View attachment 25336
I am not sure of a brand new one, looks very similar but I physically measured mine and it is 6" of space between the top of the deck box and bottom of travel/swivel mount. The X4 installed in the Grady on the Video is a different size boat, think was a 26 or 27'.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am not sure of a brand new one, looks very similar but I physically measured mine and it is 6" of space between the top of the deck box and bottom of travel/swivel mount. The X4 installed in the Grady on the Video is a different size boat, think was a 26 or 27'.
I was referring to these two pictures, which were installations on a Donzi and the second one on a Grady White, both seem like they're less than 12" tall, but if that's going to be double your height, then I guess it wouldn't work.

X4 Donzi.pngX4 Grady White.jpg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If that's the case and you need something that has an extremely low profile, then something like this with a height of 8.7" might be your only option.