Where to get replacement bow pulpit?

fishman

Reaction score
Quick update....Raybo marine uses and recommends Butler marine in PA for pulpits and platforms

fastal

Reaction score
have the same issue with mine, started a couple of years ago after i purchased the boat (92 sailfish). I was told by a fiberglass guy that it was an issue an issue for those vintage grady's, and he wanted no part of it. had another guy quote me 1200

fishman

Reaction score
Thinking of getting one from Butler or Beachfiber,Beachfiber said they could replicate the one that's on there.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
fishman, I wonder if they would give a break to do 2 of them. I might be interested if the price is not too high.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Over on THT, there is a company out of NY that goes by "not_just_a_pretty_face"... they make them out of Starboard reinforced with metal below... MUCH cheaper than the $1200 quote... $125 to $295... No idea how well they work, but they seem to do a fair amount of business... I've thought about replacing mine... I have to go up and give the anchor a kick to start it dropping from the pulpit... anyway, here's the link... http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing...e-get-your-standard-bow-pulpit-125-295-a.html

fishman

Reaction score
Sent Michael at beachfiber pictures and measurements of existing pulpit. Also said to integrate an anchor roller to have the anchor underneath like the newer applications. He said he could match the color,duplicate pulpit to exisiting,including flange on sides attaching to topside and install anchor roller. Total cost $1080.00 plus $88.00 shipping to me on LI. Butler comes in around $700 and change (without shipping) with matching color but just a flat pulpit. They said you can cut a notch out of the back of it to help it fit alittle better. See their website for a pic. Whata you think?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For a heavily damaged pulpit that is not too bad I guess, but I went out and really looked mine over and I don't have any real damage to the area where it would flex other than the top layer of Gel Coat popped off, likely due to someone dropping the anchor on it, or just age. On the back corners, it is chipped off and I can easily rebuild up that area and re-gelcoat it and the entire pulpit, so I think mine is easy to repair overall.

I wonder if yours might have been flexing too much with that extension on it causing the gelcoat to pop off of the filler material and also weakening the filler and popping it out. Dunno, but I can see on mine that there is some aparent adhesion issue between the gelcoat and filler.

I will follow your post to see what direction you go and how it turns out. If my repair does not holdup over time, then think I will pursue a replacement. It is nice to hear that they can replicate it even with the flange. That should make it fit just like the original.

fishman

Reaction score
Ok, I finally completed it. Over the winter had custom replacement pulpit made. Purchased new windlass and all hardware. Took three days to complete installation last week. Had a separate windlass pad made up to match windlass. Sealed anchor hatch down but split it first to have access. Pulpit made to resemble original 1991 but modified to accept roller chute to stow anchor underneath.Pics are of old and new.

Wetcoast Noel

Reaction score
That looks Great. much nicer now. :nicethread
Question for the room though. has anyone had one done up from Marine Aluminum? I am thinking about doing one on my 24 offshore and would just do one from Aluminum, would that upset the Grady "purists"? I have not seen one done yet in aluminum but I had my bow lights mounted on a 30"x2"x .5" strip and is bolted through some of that plastic type board that is mounted where the bow pulpit would go and I was thinking of redoing it with a full pulpit.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not really sure as it was this way when I got it. But maybe due to dropping the anchor.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone know of a resource for a recessed anchor chute like the one you had installed? Intrigued by that design and wondering how much they might be. It appears that they would be easier to use and less stress on the pulpit.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Anyone know of a resource for a recessed anchor chute like the one you had installed? Intrigued by that design and wondering how much they might be. It appears that they would be easier to use and less stress on the pulpit.

I have one, if you interested let me know and i'll post some pictures.

fishman

Reaction score
Got mine from ebay. Paid $250, now I see one on there for $400

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
At this time, more interested in investigating the possibility of converting, but being that I just refinished the pulpit, I don't want to take on a redo this quickly. If the restoration holds up over time, I think I am good to go with it. Just thought that if I started to have any issues, would convert to this type of layout.
At this point, I havent' a clue on what they cost, what they are called, who makes them, etc. Any feedback here would be great.

fishman

Reaction score
Look up "Sea Chest" as a seller on ebay. They have one and some other original Grady items.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Fish Man, I checked but seems that seller has 0 items for sale. Did a search for Stainless Anchor roller and flush mount,etc,,, but never did find anything that looks like these I see installed. Still not sure who even manufactures them or what they are really called.

fishman

Reaction score
On ebay by "sea_chest" "Grady White recessed anchor roller" $400

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
At this time, more interested in investigating the possibility of converting, but being that I just refinished the pulpit, I don't want to take on a redo this quickly. If the restoration holds up over time, I think I am good to go with it. Just thought that if I started to have any issues, would convert to this type of layout.
At this point, I havent' a clue on what they cost, what they are called, who makes them, etc. Any feedback here would be great.

I have one that i bought for my Formula but ended going different way. I can send you some pictures and measurements if you like.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks fishman! That thing looks huge. I will look more closely at the newer gradys and see how this looks installed. This type of setup might allow interference with the winch on the trailer. For now, my current setup is working well, so this is just in my back pocket for consideration if needed.