Where to get replacement bow pulpit?

dtsherry

Reaction score
Any update to this topic?
Can the pulpits be bought direct from Grady or a dealer? At what cost?
Can a stock pulpit available in various places be used?

I had a mishap :bang

Attachments

• 20131222_135707.jpg
    20131222_135707.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,824

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I guess this proves there is no wood inside. I can't believe it is just foam core with a heavy layer of fiber filled bondo! Now I am really scared!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
dtsherry, just noticed or at least I can't verify it that you don't have a windlass? Curious on how did you break this off?

I see mine flex a bit when retrieving the anchor, but you can hear the motor and let go of the switch so it does not over stress, but I wonder how much more it would take to snap!

dtsherry

Reaction score
Yes just foam in the middle.

Back in March my marina damaged my rail pretty badly and there were some small cracks after the damage by the rail fitting on the pulpit. They have never told me what the damage was but agreed to repair the rail. They pulpit was left as is. When it happened yesterday It was rough seas (probably 6 to 8 at times) and I was tied onto a mooring with extra line though evidently not enough and it going through the roller. When it snapped it made quite a sound. I have photos of the rail damage but they are too big to upload. You can see it split right at the bolts. Anyway, not wanting to hijack the thread can anyone say the best way to replace the pulpit and the relative cost? Thanks in advance.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The OEM pulpit was made in a vacuum mold process where what appears as gelcoat was actually used heavily with very little glass (mat one layer). There are two wood 2x6 planks inside with filler wood pieces and all voids have the gelcoat like material which is actually what is chipped off or cracked possibly from water into screw holes off the rails etc, then freezesif such climate. The pulpit is highly shaped and the foredeck is crowned as well, so the inner skin is actually shaped to at the foredeck.

Though less severe I had a similar situation with the chunks cracking off around the top edge (its the same pulpit as the Sailfish), I decided to create a new one from glass. It also had some half moon checks in the surface on top, not to mention the shoemaker who bored the windlass line hole with a jigsaw or worse yet a hacksaw. Even the smaller hoes for the windlass bolts were sawed.

Used the existing one as a mold. Its about 1/4 to 3/8 in thickness all glass (outer skin). I cored all the penetrations with resin and everything is thru bolted. Made the forward section deeper a bit looks more substantial. Pain in the butt shaping the slot up forward and the flanges that turn at the hull. The flanges look nice but serve no purpose on the OEM since you can snap them off with a vice grip. I just caulked them no screws, the 4 main bolts secure the pulpit.

I would not pay to repair it. A glass man can replicate it, gelcoat or paint it. Perhaps that's why $1300.

It took me a while since I had to do many "fittings" to get the flanges tight. But it was fun, time permitting and very low $$$ the glass, resin and release wax. New one was about the same weight even though all glass.
PM me with email address will send some photos for the DYIers. There is a well known glassman on Long Island where now is the offseason. If you emailed him for a quote and if agreeable, you can ship him the pulpit, or he may have one already laying around to use as mold I bet he does. I scrapped my OEM, could not be bothered with craigslist.

dtsherry1

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the length of the standard bow pulpit is/was on mid 90's sailfish?
The ones where the rail extends out to the tip of the pulpit with supports screwed into the pulpit.
Thanks in advance. I need dimensions for a replacement and I only have the bottom half of what's left of mine.

fishbust

Reaction score
So how much was the new pulpit in comparison to repairing the old one for 1300?

Bajaahh

Reaction score
This may seem crazy but if there is a reputable surfboard repair shop(ding repair), you might consider asking them to fix it. They deal with fiberglass and epoxy repairs everyday and can color-match the resin. I guarantee they will be cheaper and would probably appreciate the "challenge" of the project. They can even add more glass or a stronger glass to that area.

Call your local surf shop(if you have one) and ask them for the best ding repair guy in town...

dtsherry1

Reaction score
I cant repair anything the other half of the pulpit is either at the bottom of the sea or washed up on shore somewhere in boca raton. It was a clean break right where the screws for the forward part of the rail goes into the pulpit. I have done some exhaustive research. The pulpit is no longer available in any form from grady white.

That said, for all its shape, flanges, crowning and the recessed section for the roller the pulpit basically sits on a flat part of the foredeck and is secured with 4 bolts.

I have been offered two choices.

1. have one made from aluminum the form of which will fit directly over the existing half of my pulpit. It would be powder coated so it will look good and it would obviously be strong.

2. Have one made from starboard that is 1.5 inches thick and steel reinforced. This will just be a flat oblong board without any of the fancy flanging or crowing but I do believe it will work fine once I attach a roller, the chocks and the cleat. I wont look as pretty but this one is the cheaper of the two options.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
dtssherry1.......I have a new bow pulpit(supplied by G-W) for my 2000 272 Sailfish.......don't know if it will fit your application.....if you are interested, I will take a photo and the dimensions of the one in my garage......

Ron