Transom Repair - South Jersey

cgmiller

Reaction score
Stopped by the check on progress this morning. Scott is just about done digging out the old core. All he has left to do is dig out the core from the port side of the transom. The core is just voer 2" thick and consists of 2 layer of 3/4" plywood and 1 layer of 3/8". The aluminum seen previously in the transom cap is actually an aluminum channel..Scott said this is his third Gulfstream and has not seen this before?? Here are some pics. She should be home in 2 weeks....

003-3.jpg

010-1.jpg

004-4.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-4.jpg

008-4.jpg

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That last 2in of material in that crevis is a real bear to dig out, I just got finished yesterday getting it ALL out, Mine had some white solid putty in there as well and I cant get all of it out. Can only chisel so much befor it starts taking out glass from the inside of outer hull . I found the best way to remove the wood still stuck to the inside lip of the 3" skin was to sharpen a chisel and leave a burr on the flat side, then scrape the wood verticle against the grain or diagnal with the burr and it takes it right off down tot he glass. I ordered my wood yesterday to be delivered Sat.

Is he pouring in nidabond into yours?

cgmiller

Reaction score
It does not sound like the fiberglass guy has been having fun. He has a lot of cool tools..he has different grinding/cutting wheels..1 even has a chain saw blade wrapped around it...dont know how well it works, but it looks neat.....he has been drilling and chipping away with a chisel as well...he should have finished today....

in2fishn

Reaction score
Website
www.FTCfishing.com
Welcome to the the world of Grady Rot. I have a 1983 25' Grady white Trophy Pro I/O and went through the same process 10 years ago. It's been a known problem with older GW. They failed to cap the top of the transom so water would be absorb. Also improper sealing of trim tab and traducer's will also cause water intrusion. I have to say GW did the right thing with me. They gave $500 for the repair. At least they standby their produce :dance

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
. They gave $500 for the repair. At least they standby their produce :dance[/quote]

You telling us they gave you 500$ towards the repair on what was then a 17 year old boat???

in2fishn

Reaction score
Website
www.FTCfishing.com
CDwood,
I know it's hard to believe but they sent me a check for $500.00 to help with the repair as a goodwill jester. PR I still had had to pay for the rest of the repair.
I also sued the survey because he missed the rotted transom. Got my money back on that too! Settled out of court. :wow
Don

in2fishn

Reaction score
Website
www.FTCfishing.com
CD
I was at the New York Boat show in 2003 and I talked to the rep at the show. He gave me a contact with GW to talk too. At first they wanted to send the material for the repair. Grover's that was doing the repair didn't want to use there material. So they sent me a check. I think it was great PRfor them.
I showed them pictures and what the damage was. It was ugly. I ask if they could do anything for me. I wasn't expecting to get money but it never hurts to ask. It didn't take much convincing from me. I guess I got them at the right moment.
After the repair I did some research on the net it it was a problem with older GW (Grady Rot). There are a few article on the web pertaining to transom repairs.
Don

Attachments

• GW F.JPG
    GW F.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 6,001

cgmiller

Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted any new pics on the transom replacement. I stopped by Scotts shop tonight on my way home from work and caught him in the middle of the transom rebuild. He has the inner skin all redone and started laying in the new fiberglass. I watched him lay in 5 layers of new glass..all different stuff from 2 oz to 24 oz......he should be ready to pour in the transome by the end of the day tomorrow and she should be home by the end of next week...for real this time...

002-2.jpg

003-4.jpg

005-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

004-5.jpg

006-4.jpg

007-5.jpg

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's an approach I have not seen before.
So they are not replacing any of the plywood, using nothing but glass? and what are they "pouring".

gw204

Reaction score
He is building up/strengthening the inner skin. The transom core will be a pourable compound (Nidapour I think).

cgmiller

Reaction score
CD,

Go back to page 2 and there is a picture of what the new core will be...layers of glass, airex foam board and nida core. It should be stronger than the original transom. The aluminum angle was removed so there will be nothing in there to cause issues with bonding and corrosion and it will be impervious to water intrusion and will never rot again..or freeze and pop off the outside skin..

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you the same guy that's selling a 21' regulator? if so, why are you bothering with that grady?

cgmiller

Reaction score
CD...no that was not me. I sold a 21 Mako when I bought the Grady. I posted that link for someone who was looking for a 21 Reg..

cgmiller

Reaction score
Stopped by and checked on the boat this evening on my way home from work..Scott was cutting the foam board and continuing the rebuild...he may have it together and ready for the pour in nida core by the end of the day tomorrow..keep your fingers crossed for rain to keep him in the shop and not outside taking care of other repairs at the local marinas..

006-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

005-6.jpg

007-6.jpg

008-5.jpg

011-3.jpg

Here is a shot of where he is closing in the lower rigging tube which is partially underwater when the drain plugs are out of the drain tubes..

002-3.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score
CG, he is putting in a structural foam core and then a pourable core? Why not use one or the other and glass the outside?

cgmiller

Reaction score
Richie,

From what I gather, if he used only nida core it would be extremely heavy and I already have a weight issue with the 4-strokes. No one that I spoke to uses just the pourable core materials in the all-composite transoms. He is laminating a thick piece of foam core to the skin section that he cut off, which he was going to do last night. He is also going to laminate a thick piece across the transom on the inside section under where the engines hang. When he pours in the nida core, it will fill in all of the nooks and crannies and produce one single composite laminate for the entire width and height of the transom. He told me to stop by tonight and see the reinstalled outer skin and inner foam pieces before he pours in the nida core, which may happen tomorrow..keep your fingers crossed....

cgmiller

Reaction score
Stopped by the check on the boat..things are moving forward..the laminated skin has been reinstalled and the gap has been sealed up. The fiberglass guy is planning to pour the transom tomorrow and he may have it together and gelcoated by the end of the week and everything reinstalled and on her way back to the dealed to have the engines reinstalled..keep your fingers crossed..here are some pics along with some finished shots of the center console that he was working on when mine went onto the shop..

007-7.jpg

002-4.jpg

005-7.jpg

Center Console Pics...

008-6.jpg

009-4.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CM, looks like all transoms should be done. Can upgrade to twin 300s now!