“Gelcoat Saver” for anchoring

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
For those of you without a windlass setup, I got tired of all the gelcoat dings near anchor locker. Created a quick template using cardboard and only for $150 got a local canvas shop to make this bow cover complete with foam padding inside to protect gelcoat from anchor rode during anchoring. The cover is held in place by the bow cleats, so accurate measuring is a must. Boat is now at the gelcoat shop :)B797C6BD-72C5-4C62-A9F4-227AB9C55CAA.jpeg

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't understand how you are getting gel coat damage from the anchor rode?? Do you have pictures and description of the cause of the damage?

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I don't understand how you are getting gel coat damage from the anchor rode?? Do you have pictures and description of the cause of the damage?
I could see how easily if the person pulling up the anchor is careless or maybe not strong enough to handle it.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Managing heavy anchor and chain can be challenging when trying to clean it after anchoring then quickly put it back in locker correctly before wind pushes us into another boat. I’m the main operator with my wife keeping kids at a safe distance. I only made a few gelcoat dings on my last Grady. Just purchased this 2015 Grady and it had a ton of anchor chain damage. It’s possible it’s related to the freedom style boats because it is quite a long stretch to get the heavy anchor over the bow rail without touching boat especially on retrieval.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can see how retrieving an anchor (especially if it has chain) can be difficult - you have to kneel over and then you really don't have any support so it's tough on your back. And if you stand up, it's a long reach overboard, which isn't any better. If you wanted to, though, you could deploy and retrieve the anchor over the side back in the cockpit - if you're back gives you issues, this may help.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same issue with my 208, after install ing the pulpit I found it to be much easier, standing up on retrieval and lifting the anchor from the bow roller into the locker. Also keeps the anchor from hitting the bow on retrieval and deployment. I believe it helps to have a bow rail for additional support, I guess your model does not have one.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks good. Hopefully it works for you and eliminates gelcoat chips.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Re-locating that light, and putting a bow roller there would make everything about that job a lot easier. Use a roller with an open top, rather than a hoop, if you want to pick the anchor up and store it. A pulpit would make that too much of a reach for me, without a bow rail.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Agree a roller / windlass is the best solution for anchoring but we don’t anchor too often. I’m more concerned with keeping that area open so I can jump from boat to trailer easily.