'08 336 - thinking of replacing hull side striping and Grady logos with new style decals and logos

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Hi all,

The previous owner of my '08 336 left her out to cook in the SW FL sun every day on an uncovered lift. The gelcoat looks good as he did have the boat detailed and waxed periodically by a professional, but the original hull side striping and GW logos are deteriorated from the harsh SW FL sun that it was exposed to every day on his lift. I am keeping "her" in high 'n dry covered rack storage at the marina so she is living a cooler life now. I am working to bring her back to her full glory and upgrading full electronics (MFD, radar, transducers, VHF, stereo, etc), updating lighting to LED and repairing a few vinyl pieces where the threads have deteriorated.

To make the exterior look great and be well protected in the SW FL sun going foward, I am thinking of having the ceramic coating applied to the hull by a great local professional detailer who did my previous boat. It is not cheap, but I was very happy with the results he achieved on my last boat. Rather than putting the ceramic coating over the original deteriorated striping and decals, I am thinking I will also have the detailer put on the new striping and decals before he does the ceramic coating.

Since the hull design of the 2019 Canyon 336 is the same as my '08 Canyon 336, I have the option to go with the new striping & decal design that Grady is using on the new Canyons. Thinking that this will help my 11 year old girl look like new and may even fool a few people about her age. ;-)

Has anyone else replaced the original decals on your Grady with the new design? If so, how did it turn out? Are you happy with the results? Would love to see some before and after pics.

Thanks!

Doug

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I re-did all my stripes and cabin side decals on my '04 228. Mine was also a Florida boat. Only thing I can offer is you will have ghosting from the stripes and decals showing the original gelcoat color underneath. As long as the font and size is close or the same, you won't notice it, otherwise you may see it for awhile until the exposure evens the color out over a few years.

Reactions: PlannedOutage

mhinch

Reaction score
I say go for it...It's yours and if you prefer the new stripes - vs - the old, by all means. I'll be doing the same this winter so post up pictures of the finished product either way.