1. Bow rail hardware 2. Hull / deck squeek 89 204C

Bucklodge

Reaction score
1. Does anyone have a trick for getting the bow rail connectors locking screw unfrozen ? Some of my bow rail connectors are loose. The hex screws are frozen and will not move. I am tring to avoid replacing the entire connector. I have contemplated drilling out the screws and replacing them but I can not find replacement hexscrews.

2. I also have what appears to be a fiberglass "squeek / creak " coming from the port fishbox area when the boat twists in quartering seas. It appears to be a rub or flex under the walkway just forward of the port seat area.

Any ideas from the Grady faithful would be appreciated .

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I tried to no avail to loosen the set screws on the stantion brackets and T's. I used PB Blaster, I tried a torch (on the upper supports only) and they did't budge.
I started with the smallest drill that would remove some of the allen socket in the screw and enlarged by 1/64 of an inch untill just the threads were left. Then I used a pick (like a dental pick) to remove the chips stuck in the threads. I found some screws at a local boat yard.
Sears has a reverse drill bit that might work to remove the screws as you are drilling them out but I bet you will go through several of them as the set screws are stainless. Use lots of oil as you are drilling and keep the drill at a lower RPM than when drilling F-Glass and wood.
I've got a few more to remove in order to tighten the fittings on the bow rail as well so I purchased titanium or something drills for harder steel.
Oh, I did see some freeze spray that is supposed to loosen siezed screws but did not find it locally.