150 optimax engines on a 25 trophy pro

whitey

Reaction score
i'm interested in repowering my boat,the price of fuel is killing me.the guy who services my boat has a set of 150 optimax engines for sale,i'm interested in them,but,he states the engines are too small for the boat.the boat will be under powered.i've seen 25's with 150 hpdi engines ?
what do you guys think?

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I saw this on THT. In my opinion yes it would be underpowered. You need every bit of that 400hp to get up on top if the boat is loaded down. I was thinking of repowering with 175 zukes but i dont want to sacrifice the power. Trophy Pros are heavy thick sided boats so unless you just want to putt-putt around the harbor i would stick with 200s. If you are worried about fuel just think about how much harder (and how much nore fuel) those 150 will be working.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
T/150 HP

I am still new to my 252 Sailfish,....... I have T/200 93' 2s Rudes pushn me ..they do a great job all around (so far) ... but when I repower (and probably soon) I would'nt even look at anything less than T/200HP .. I may even go to T/225 ..maybe Merc Opti's .... not sure what your boat weigh's compard to the sailfish.... ..T/150 sounds underpowered to me! I would look around ..... the newer motors are much better on fuel ...maybe try Delaware (no sales tax) !!! ....

Tom

whitey

Reaction score
these are the engines i'm looking at.they were compression tested and ran for me.http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre ... 37&start=1
i did some research on these and the optimax engines are supposed to be great on fuel and oil.i've seen a few sailfish with 150hpdi engines,one is in avalon-is this a member ? it seems to me this is enough power.just looking for suggestions? i was told to ask around for owners that have a similar set up.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have a buddy he has an 87 trophy he put 250 merc's on it a few years back that thing flies when he hammers it yet gets good economy when he stays out of it

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
ocdansar said:
I have a buddy he has an 87 trophy he put 250 merc's on it a few years back that thing flies when he hammers it yet gets good economy when he stays out of it

Wow I would hope it flies since he is 100hp over what GW says is max HP.

wilson

Reaction score
i have a 252g sailfish with new 200 hpdi's. it is a rocket sled.fuel injection can but a boat out of the water faster than carbs of the same horse power. 300 vs. 400hp probably isn't that much difference. hole shots for sure but most traveling speed is in the middle range anyway. a smaller motor (not to small) might be in the sweet spot for most of it's hours. i can't run my engines hammer down alot of the time because of sea conditions. i look at new boats today a 23-24 c/c with a 19 deadrise and a 250 on the back. i don't know what they are trying to prove. however before i get kicked to the curb, i have a 21 trophy with a 120hp volvo set up for the bay and it is a slug. 20knt at best on plane about 14 so not much left. but very easy on fuel. run about 3900 rpm at 19 knts all day on 10 gallons.