150hp 2 stroke on 209 Escape

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
Does someone know is it right? 1999 209 Escape with 1999 150hp 2stroke model S150txrx . My manual book said WOT is 4500-5500 rpm ,but the most I get is 5000rpm. Is 500rpm make any different?

seasick

Reaction score
I have the same motor on my 208 Adventure. My WOT is about 5000 rpm also . It's not an issue for me since I generally don't run at WOT and even at 4800 I am doing about 37 mph.
Once in a while I will open it up to both clean the hull and blow out the carbon.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
I don't know about this boat/motor combo but in regards to missing WOT RPM's its not a matter of how often you run at WOT. Checking your WOT RPM's is an indicator and not hitting the RPM's you should means you are putting undue strain on your motor, even at cruise. The easiest solution is usually to adjust the prop, but if for example you noticed a drop in WOT RPM's in mid-season that would be a sign that something else is going on.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here, just a little commentary about checking WOT in general.

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
I bought the boat 1 month ago, and I have not run the motor WOT. But last saturday the water was calm that why I try to see what is the RPM and speed of that 150hp. My gauge show 40mph and 5000 rpm. Another question is what do you guy recomend normal cruising RPM is? If I run 4000-4500 rpm when I cruise ,would that damage the motor?

ocjoy

Reaction score
wot

If the seas are calm I run mine at 4000 RPM most of the time. That seems to be the most economical RPM.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Low RPM's

This discussion about low rpm's has been on the board several times, and I also had the same questions. Check for discussions on correct props for your engine. Look for topics on over-propping, pitch, etc. The one reader, Black Diamond, has it exactly right. It's not an issue of whether or not you run at WOT. You should never be using WOT as your cruising speed. Even if you're not running at WOT, and you don't have on the correct prop, you're straining your engine. Over time, could become a show-stopper. I bought a used boat, 10 years old. The old owner never had the right prop on. Thanks to the sage advice of some of the guys who post here, I ended up with the right prop after buying only one. You'll notice a difference in how much easier the engine runs, your fuel economy, how quickly the boat comes up on plane, and how much smarter you are for giving up a few mph. Some guys have done well by calling Bay Propeller in Chesapeake, Virginia.

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
The reason I run WOT is, just checking if the prop is the right size for the boat. Right now it has 13 3/4 x 17. But normally I don't run WOT. I just curious what rpm do you usually run your boat for the long distance without hurting the motor?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Engine Power Settings

OK, if I'm in calm water, I try and run around 4000 rpms. This is my second Yami, and from my experience, they seem to be happy in the upper 3's and low 4's. After a while, you'll be able to tell if your engine is straining or happy doing its thing. Back to the props - if you're over-propped, don't be afraid to switch to another brand. I think, if I read these past threads right, most guys in this forum have switched to other brands to get it right. In fact, Yami props are more costly than most after-market props. Don't be afraid to put your current prop on eBay if it's the wrong one. If you want more detail, feel free to send me a PM. There's no magic formula to get your prop right. It's advice of people who have been around, and a little luck thrown in with a little common sense.

seasick

Reaction score
The cruising speed that you run depends on what your goals are.
If you want to maximise fuel economy, there is a sweet spot. For my 150 it is around 3800 rpm. I feel most conforatble cruising at 4200 or so. That seems to be the best spot for ride, speed and handling in calm seas.You can go to the grady web site and look up the performance tables for various models and motor combination even for older years. You will see the fuel mileage tables and be able to see the most efficient cruise speed(motor RPM).
I am satisfied with my prop , it is the original factort spec size and pitch. My WOT as mentioned is a tad over 5,000. It could be higher but I have some extra play in the throttle cable and it doesn't fully extend the throttle lever. Maybe some day, I will adjust it:)

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
Seasick, What prop do you have on your motor? I just got off the phone with my mechanic. He told me if I change my prop to 13.75 x 15 instead of 13.75 x 17 I will reach 5500 rpm. the motor last longer and get better hole shot in the chop. I try to go in Grady White web to see the spec. for my boat year/model and engine spec. ,but could not find anything for engine performance tables .

cedarholm

Reaction score
fishermanaddict said:
Seasick, What prop do you have on your motor? I just got off the phone with my mechanic. He told me if I change my prop to 13.75 x 15 instead of 13.75 x 17 I will reach 5500 rpm. the motor last longer and get better hole shot in the chop. I try to go in Grady White web to see the spec. for my boat year/model and engine spec. ,but could not find anything for engine performance tables .

fishermanaddict,

I have a 1993 Escape 209 with 200HPDI.

Performance Bulletins can be found on the Yamaha Motors website.

Is your current prop stainless steel?

How's the repower going?

How do you use the Escape?

Don't worry about hitting 5500 rpm. I'd try to hit the middle of the 4500-5500 range. Cruise at 3800 sounds about right.

Do you have a Yamaha Service manual?

Cedarholm

seasick

Reaction score
fishermanaddict said:

I think its the 17 but I have to check

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
Caderholm, I am have stainless prop and I use the boat for most of time for local and sometime 20-30 mile offshore for fishing. I am looking forward to repower in the future . . How do you like your motor? What speed do you get?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm jumping in here late.

I don't see how proping the motor to yamaha spec range is going to damage or wear out the motor sooner or later.
If you want to get longer life from a motor while running boat at very high speeds for long periods, you are supposed to max out the hull rated power so the motor will be well less loaded vs. a smaller motor running at max nameplate HP. You have a lot more HP boat nameplate to go than 150HP.

The WOT range is where the motor develops max HP, properly, by design.

If you overprop, running the motor at WOT will be less RPM than spec, meaning it is overloaded as proped. Overloading a motor will overheat it and eventually when hot enough, self destruct.

If you underprop, it means it can overrev and self destruct at WOT.

The manuf advise is to prop to be in the upper half of that range at WOT and test loaded accordingly. If you went to the next size smaller prop, I see little noticable benefit or loss to you, other than loss of the cost of two props.

At 5000 RPM, throttle at WOT, the motor is generating it's 150HP capability you paid for, while running normal spec temps - continuously, and can do it forever (well, you know what I mean).

If you pick the next size smaller prop, you will get marginally better holeshot, but perhaps a little less top end.

As far as what rpm to run at, recommended crusing speed is usually associated with best planning fuel economy, not just speed. If you want to run around WOT often, you will be burning fuel like it's 1999.

The 4000 RPM mentioned is a typical economy sweet spot (when the motor is prop'd properly), as it is on my boat.

My boat can take a bigger wheel to get more speed, but I'm not interested in more speed, I'm interested in holeshot and accelerating out of breaking following seas that want to swallow the boat, and me with it.

The Grady website has these tests and results for different motors. Your results will vary.

I didn't mention boat speed, because it's whatever it is, at that crusing or WOT motor RPM.

cedarholm

Reaction score
fishermanaddict said:
Caderholm, I am have stainless prop and I use the boat for most of time for local and sometime 20-30 mile offshore for fishing. I am looking forward to repower in the future . . How do you like your motor? What speed do you get?

fishermanaddict,

To me, the Escape with 200HPDI is the perfect combo.
I suggest you search in this forum for archived discussions.
Search "Escape 209 repower".
Great Grady folks were extremely helpful.
Search also on The Hull Truth website.
I considered F225 but additional weight on aft of my 1993 hull was a deal killer, especially since I have a T8 kicker.

Top end is 48mph but I rarely run there.
Prop is Yamaha SS Reliance series in 13.75 x 19
You will find 200HPDI to have a stellar reputation.
Steering was changed to SeaStar hydraulic plus Raymarine autopilot for trolling plus Command Link gauges.

Have fun!