175 spirit

oxcrv8r

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for this great site. I have found a 95 175 spirit in excellent condition. I plan to fish long island sound with this boat. I was really looking for a 19, however I will be trailering so the smaller size is getting more atractive. My question is will this boat be to small? Any input from present to past owners would be appreciated.

Thanks Ron

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I bought a 93 for my son this fall. All I can tell you is that I am stunned by how well this boat rides. It is a very LARGE 17 footer....rides more like a 19 IMHO. If you found a 95 in great condition you won't be disappointed......My son loves his...We're working on it over the winter to buff up somke small things but overall the boat is fantastic.

Gradywolf

Reaction score
I have a 97 and my wife and I really enjoy it. We keep it in dry storage most of the year in fresh water but 3 or 4 times a year we get to the coast. This is a very easy boat to trailer so if you will be primarily trailering you will be satisfied. Like any boat of this size the storage space is limited and any more than 3 people on board is too many if you are doing anything other than cruising.

What kind of power does the boat you are looking at have?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My wife and I had a 1992 Spirit 175 (our first Grady) and loved it. Mostly coastal use out to about ten miles in good weather. The boat handles a 2' chop fine. We made two trips to Bimini in that boat. Coming home on the second trip, seas were 2'-4' from the NE and we were taking them head-on. We got pretty wet and slowed down so as not to take a pounding. The boat was fine. Still, that ride home is what got the Admiral's okay for the next Grady, a 208.

Rob

GWcpa

Reaction score
Bimini in a 175? I knew a guy years ago that did it in a 13 Whaler to say he did. Even a 208 sounds adventurous (no pun intended.) :lol:

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I had a '93 17 sirit and always enjoyed it. Mine had two seats as opposed to the bench seat option. I found thsat it was a bit crowded behind the seats for fishing so since I fished by myself most of the time I took the mate's seat off the boat, pedestal and all, and had no problems with room from then on. If I had a buddy go with me, ity took me less than ten minutes to reinstall the pedestal, only needed a screwdriver.

I liked the excellent storage, built in rod racks on the helm, and the livewell.

I sold the boat to my daughter and son in law and they still have it and like it as much as I did.

I thought '93 was the last year GW made the 17 (?)