1970's Grady White 212 Nassau/Chesapeacke Riding Opinion

francotripepi

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I love older boats, specially lapstrake style hulls as Lymans, Thompson and the old Grady White. I currently own a well kept 1971 Grady White 191 Sportsman with a 1996 Yamaha 115 VPro, it is a simple and good looking (in my humble opinion.....beauty only resides in the eye of the beholder) classic runabout.

I am interested in an honest opinion from one of you that either owns, owned or rode in a 1970's 212 series, either the Nassau or the Chesapeacke, any one since they are based on the same variable v hull.

Please comment on riding characteristics, pros and cons observed on these hulls, any input will be appreciated.

I am thinking of a crazy project......I would love to buy one of these hulls, redo the floor and install my current boat cap (with the modifications required) since they are the same hulls just longer, so as to make it a bigger runabout.

I navigate the infamous Biscayne Bay in Miami, and most of the time is riddled by short annoying chop, 2' to 3'. My boating needs are restricted to riding around, anchoring to spend a good time reading a great book, snorkeling, listening to music and munching on sushi or sandwiches.

I don't fish, I am not entering an offshore race, nor I pretend to challenge the offshore canyons.......more to the point, I believe that my current boat is overpowered for its low degrees of deadrise at transom (it is similar to a Lyman/Thompson), and for my boating taste 25 to 35 mph are what relaxed boating is all about. It is never how fast you are going, as much as how you are going fast.

Thank you for your help, and enjoy the water....

Nobody there that can help? Any riding impression on these models?