1978 GW center console issues

newfoundland1

Reaction score
I just bought a '78 GW center console(not sure of the model).Believe it or not,a 1 owner boat.Mid '80's 150 Mercury.It's 21ft .The boat overall seems to be in pretty good condition.The usual nicks and scrapes after 30+ years!My question ; is there anything anyone is aware of ,that I should be looking for,as I get it ready for fishing next season? Thanks in advance for your help!! Craig

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You have a 204 Hatteras. There are so many things to check on a boat that old that I would probably have a professional give it the once-over.

newfoundland1

Reaction score
I appreciate your help!I was really hoping to go over the boat this year yet,but I just brought it back from Del. after 2 months of trying to get a newer trailer under it!!Most of the things I'm looking at are minor issues:cobbled together wiring,broken hatch hinges,bad bilge pump,etc.The floors seem solid,but when I stuck my head in the battery compartment,I'm seeing cracks in the stringers.I haven't had a chance to dig around the transom yet.What should I be looking for when I check out the gas tank?? Thanks,Craig

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unfortunately you have to pull the tank to check it. Hopefully there is a hatch cover over the tank, pull that up and yank the tank (after getting the fuel out). Once it's out check the bottom of the tank for pitting and pull the level sensor and check the inside too. How are the hoses? It sounds like you didn't get a survey, being a pretty old boat be sure the rest of the boat is sound. Cracks on the stringers is not a good thing and it's a fairly safe bet the transom needs work too.

newfoundland1

Reaction score
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply!!I bought the boat sight unseen for $500 from a friend of a friend.LOL!!Gas tank seems pretty straight forward,hatch between the seats.If the tank is bad,any thoughts on where to get a new one and cost?I have no idea on capacity or what the tank is made of.As far as the transom,I have a feeling it's gonna get UGLY!! I helped a buddy years ago rebuild his,but it was an old tri-hull and he didn't really care what it looked like.It wasn't pretty,but it sure was strong!!I'm comfortable working with'glass,so basically it's just gonna be lots of time.The only thing I'm unsure of is where to make my initial cuts.Are there any links on this site for more info? Thanks again,Craig P.S. I'll try and post some pics