1984 20.5 fisherman

jstrat7804

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to get the side cleats off to replace with new. there are bolts holding them in place but there is no way to get at the nuts under the gunnel.

gw204

Reaction score
I was able to access the nuts on the rear cleats of my old 204 by reaching up through the back wells. If you can't get 'em that way, you'll have to cut some holes and installed inspection plates.

jstrat7804

Reaction score
thanks for the reply i was afraid of that, i really don"t want to cut holes.i think i will search around for some type of stainless anchor like you use on drywall.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You don't want to do that.

You may be able to reach the nuts with a very long handle drive extension, can get the flexible spring like one.
Tape the parts together incl socket so you don't loose them.

If not - like Brian wrote
Small pry open inspection plates are the normal on many boats even new ones, can even get matching off white or ivory color, smooth surface or pebble/cross hatch, etc. Use only a hole saw to cut opening, select size no larger than a hand needs to fit thru it. Caulk in place. Older Gradys used TEMPRESS MARINE hatches, can find their website if you Google it. Ivory is their color match.

Wait until you have to do fuel lines!!!