1985 Grady White Trophy 257 Fuel Tanks

Gates

Reaction score
Hello, this is my 1st posting on this forum and have learning a great deal about these boats. I am looking at purchasing a 1985 GW Trophy 257. The boat is very clean. The present owner purchased the boat 10 or so years ago from the original owner in OH who used it on the Great Lakes. Since then, the boat has also been trailered and never moored. My question is, the boat has a total of 225 gallon fuel capacity between the main and aux tanks. If the tanks need replacing, can I use a couple 50 gallon Moeller after market tanks if properly fastened? I just will never use 225 gallons for one day boat usage as I will trailer the boat. Please help. Thank you.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome to the site!

I don't see a problem with the mohler poly gas tanks, with one exception which you can figure out once the floor cover comes up.

If I'm not mistaken, the two cross tank braces on top also serve as a mid span support for the cover. You can make up an equivalent w/o using the mohler tank top as a base.

You will have to brace the tanks not to slide nore lift being a different size - needs some custom work just like the cover supports, I expect not a challenge.

The hoses won't match up but they should be replaced with new anyway.

Gates

Reaction score
Thank you. I would rather use tanks that are not prone to corrosion. I am looking foward to using a boat better able to handle rougher water than my 16' Quintrex that I could only use in calm seas. Thanks again.

richie rich

Reaction score
Gates,

you'll need to do some really good homework on how you are going to fit those tanks in there....matching up a pre-made tank to a custom made stringer, deadrise angle, and over all dimension is going to take some work.....there are other plastic tank builders that may have a dimension that may fit better....look around....also remember that these tanks will need to be very secure and yet have room for expansion.....follow the expansion rules by the manufacturer to the T...should be OK....but just food for thought...the boat is over 20 years old already.....if you did buy a replacement aluminum tank, maybe with a little epoxy paint on it and a proper installation...it will probably outlast the boat!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't use 205 gallons either, however the fuel weight improves the ride in snotty wind wipped (non-swell) seas. So I usually don't go below 75 gals, refill to add 80 or 100 gals.

The ride tells me when it's time to refuel ! Before my back tells me!

gw204

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommending piecing together a new fuel system using multiple 50 gallon tanks. You'll spend more time and money re-engineering the mounting and plumbing for those tanks than it's worth. If the current tanks (there's two, a 150 and a 73) need replacing, but you don't need the full capacity and don't want to spend the $2300 or so it will cost to replace both, just replace the main 150 tank. When you get it, sand off the cheap paint that's on it, etch it and paint it with an epoxy paint (I like Interprotect 2000E) and you won't have to worry about it for 20+ years.

Gates

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. You have given me more to think on before making a decision.

83Trophy

Reaction score
Re: Fuel tanks...

Gates- I did a full restoration on a 1983 Trophy and, I, too, had no need for all that fuel. So what I did was replace the factory 150 gallon with a new one I found on Ebay ($300), and removed the 75 gallon rear tank. Then I took that rear tank area and relocated the batteries, oil tanks, and fuel filters there. I glassed the two 8 inch round inspection hatches and installed a 15x30 access hatch. Then I fabricated a panel that is installed the right rear stern door with the two battery switches. It came out pretty cool. Good luck...Bob

Gates

Reaction score
Re-Power

Bob, thanks for the info. I just purchased this boat a couple weeks ago and for an 85, it is in great shape. Well taken care of over the years. If I may ask, what do you have for power on your boat? Mine has the original 115 2 stroke Yamaha's. They still push the boat along in calm seas at 30 mph but I am looking to re-power with twin 4 stroke 150 Yamaha's. I like Suzuki also but the closest dealer is 60 miles away. I have a Yamaha dealer 1/2 mile away so they will be my pick. I have already been told numerous times the twin 115 on the boat now is way under powering the boat and keeping engine weight in mind, I figured the 150's should do the trick. Another dealer also mentioned the Mercury Verado's as better than Suzuki and Yamaha but I found a lot of Verado owners with many issues with those engines. Any thoughts. Thanks - Gates.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
115's? To be honest I'm suprised that they will push her to 30. If you run light 150's will be fine but some like 200's. I haven't heard much about the 4 cyl Verados but they are light for 4 strokes. If you go yami, don't go above 150's. The 200's and 225 might weigh too much for you and will not fit the standard spacing.

Gates

Reaction score
Re-Power

I also was suprised she topped out a 30mph during the sea trial with the 115's. I checked Yami's Performance bulletin and found it even harder to believe a single 150 4 stroke would push a Tournament 275 45mph at peek RPM. It must be twins but the site claims a single. Perhaps she was caught in the gulf stream at the time of testing. :lol:

83Trophy

Reaction score
Gates- attached is a link I posted a while ago detailing my speed numbers with the 150's. Keep in mind too that my motors have approx 1100+ hours on them, and my bottom has 25 years of paint on it! But I have to say that even with a boatload of people the 150's push her without a problem. This season I ran a 17p prop, and the boat ran great. I hope to attack the bottom this spring and clean that up to gain a bit more speed. If you have any additional questions feel free to ask...Bob

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=