1985 Seafarer hull replacement

wllmr

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Grady226 Seafarer whick looks like a 1992. I was told when I bought this boat about 10 years ago a the Vero Beach Grady dealer, that in 1985 Grady had a bunch of 226 that had bad resin and the hulls were delaminating. So in 1992 they pulled back all of these boats and put the old serial number on new 1992 hulls,( This was done so the customer did not have to pay for new title and fees.) I am getting ready to sell this great little boat( Getting too old) and have been trying to research this so I can prove it to the buyer. They think because the title says 1985 the boat is an 85 and they don believe me. Anyone out there heard of this. I would appriciate some type of referance. Thank you in advance

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I believe Grady would be the unequivocal source for this information, and I would be stunned if your information was correct (nothing personal, you were told what you were told). Aside from 92's being SeaV2, boat HINs are like vehicle VINs and can't just be swapped around. Let us know what you find out ... :?

wllmr

Reaction score
Well, I can agree with what you say, but if I look at the floor plan of the 85 and the floor plan of the 92, I have the 92 floor plan and the 85 had wood trim and all of my trim is platic. I don't know why this dealer would lie. He is a vary reputible dealer and has been selling Grady's for a long time.

gw204

Reaction score
I have heard of a similar instance where a late 80s/very early 90s pre-SeaV2 Gulfstream went back to the factory for hull replacement. If my memory serves, the hull and cap were split and the cap was set on a new hull. Not surew how the HIN was addressed though.

The '85 and '92 Seafarer had very different layouts. I can't say for certain, but I doubt an '85 cap would fit on a '92 hull without tons of additional work. I also doubt that GW would give out brand new boats to replace 7 year old ones. Maybe they did it, maybe they didn't. Who knows.

Either way, if your story is true, you have a 1985 boat. Hull replacement wouldn't change the year.

wllmr

Reaction score
I know it dosn't change the value. But if you were buying a boat would you want it to be an 85 or a 92. I am just looking for some type of proof that this occured.