1986 overnighter fish boxes

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Recently I purchased a 86 overnigter, looking at the 2 forward fish boxes at step, is it possible to convert to live well?
Has anyone attempted this, are drains sufficient if used as a livewell

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I think you'd have a serious 'sloshing' problem, if no other issue. I know the 'livewell' on a Tournament 22' does, and that box isn't near as long as the overnighter. Livewell drains probably require 75-100% more diameter than the inlet with a nominal size pump ...

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an '88 Overnighter and think the biggest problem you would have would be access for netting the bait. That box goes forward a ways and would be difficult to reach with a net. That is on top of the plumbing issues that could likely be worked out.

In my boat I originally installed a recirculating pump for the small well in front of the motor well. It worked ok but was just small. Since then I purchased an insulated Keep Alive tank that sits on deck behind the port helm seat. Works well for me.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All I've head is that a foreward livewell will beat up the bait.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, I do agree about beating up the bait.
Think I will go for something removable with a plugin aerator and try that for a bit

Pay2Play

Reaction score
What you can do to prevent the sloshing of bait is to mount a removable divider. Lexan type material or starboard, with holes drilled in it so the water can circulate. Not sure about the size of the bait you use but it works well with minnows and such.

Clockwork

Reaction score
one problem i found much to my chagrin is that the fish box is not fully enclosed! if you reach forward and feel the top of the box its raw fiberglass from the bottom of the side of the helm. im not a huge fan of these compartments as fish boxes either because they are hard to access, the lid wont stay up and they are hard to clean especially with that raw fiberglass in there. i put fish in there and now it smells bad forever.

any fish in there would be getting beat badly if it was a livewell. and just not deep enough IMO.