1987-88 252 Sailfish value

Bmeehan19

Reaction score
Hi,
Im new here. Been reading in the background for a bit on the 25' Sailfish, I think this will be what I need/want to go out for stripers, tuna, mahi etc... I really like the uncluttered fishing deck, but some room to take the family out on. I came across a 1987 Sailfish with full transom and dual 1998 Johnson 200 ocean runners (carbed) on the factory bracket with new power heads less than 5 years ago with 130 hours on the new heads. The rest of the motor doesnt look bad, all trim and tilt functions work as the boat is still being used. The hull is in decent shape for its age, a few spider cracks on the gunnels above the rub rail but no other gouges, scrapes or cracks I could see. The current owner had it for 3 years and kept it on the trailer, it has bottom paint so in its previos 30 something years it has been docked. No cushions inside, no stove(wasnt built with one), the head is functional. the floor felt solid but it appeared a little but wavy in areas near seams, not curling just not dead flst (could be normal for age). New fuel tanks 4 years ago( 125, 75 gallon). has hard top, no soft enclosure. No trim tabs installed. No electronics aside from some lighting. There is an autopilot panel but the owner said he didnt know if it worked and never attempted to see if the parts were there. There was no indication of a compromised transom, I pushed on the motors and the whole boat rocked and it didnt appear to flex at all. It sits on a brand new aluminum I beam trailer with disc brakes bought this year ($5000).

Im fairly handy and rather ballsy so I dont mind digging into stuff to create some sweat equity.

Ok, so what Im asking is what do you feel this is worth. I purposely left the price out as to not detract from the facts of the vessel. If i do go forward I will have it surveyed. But for arguments sake lets assume it solid with no rot. If it has rot Im sure the response would be "whatever the trailer and motors are worth" would be the going price.

Thank you in advance,
Bryan

Bmeehan19

Reaction score
Any help with a value here? If I missed something please let me know and I will get that info.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
i just used the link above and entered the options and motors I have on my 1988 Trophy Pro, it shows a selling price of 45 to 50K.
I BOUGHT my boat in 1991 when it was only 3 years old for 45K.

So, I guess Grady's hold their value, eh? LOL.

Bmeehan19

Reaction score
I just did the calculator. Its shows a suggested price of 40k but retail of $9000. I’ll attach some pics. I’ve seen prices all over the place as it seems people are attempting to get what they feel its worth to them based on money invested not necessarily on what they are worth. This is why I posed the question to hopefully get an unbiased evaluation.8EC3F977-AAB5-4690-8A59-CF07258075CD.jpegF7282456-B81B-40B3-B1F5-452CE099BF46.jpeg7834EFAD-F4B5-462D-B0C2-6188D2437591.jpeg12827709-CA51-49EB-B609-7AC3C478B48F.jpeg98ECB522-E8D1-456A-B1B3-86BF8E8B4672.jpegCA3202F0-80C2-42CA-8D5B-25DC929F2BB9.jpegD355CCAF-FAF7-478C-A7FE-D39A34967061.jpeg9FE37A63-A721-44F1-B1C4-49F77175D82A.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
$8-10K prob the lower end. you need a survey.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am not experienced nor knowledgeable enough to give you an estimated value, but I have heard several comment both on here and in person that the 272 was legendary. Owners would rave about the ride, handling, etc. over later model 282's and other Gradys.

It's no answer to your question but something in the plus column as you pursue it further.

seasick

Reaction score
NADA is not reliable for pricing. It does help track depreciation.
That said, you need to do comparisons on other offerings keeping in mind that what folks ask may be far different than what boats sell for. If you see a similar model listed for xxx dollars but it has been on the market for a long time, that kinda says that it is overpriced.
Remember that if you need the accessories that are missing or you want to resell, some accessories are important to buyers. For example, folks usually want canvas and a new enclosure can cost thousands. Decent cushions are pricey too.
From the pictures, the boat shows age as one might expect and it doesn't look great. You can't tell the condition of the transom by seeing if it flexes under load. Yes, if it does it is shot but only a survey and moisture scan can tell for sure.
How do you know the power heads have only 130 hours on them?
To me, I see most of the value in the trailer. It is probably worth almost as much as the boat. That raises another question. Why spend $5k on a new trailer and then sell the package? There may be a legitimate answer but I am skeptical by nature:)
I would expect the seller to say that the trailer is not included but is available at a price. Trailers in good shape are very easy to sell.

Bmeehan19

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s. As of now nothing has been truly verified. Ie hours, fuel tanks etc. If I do go forward I will absolutely have it surveyed. He told me he bought the boat to do more offshore fishing as he had a 23’ CC prior. He said he and a buddy used to fish a lot together and this would be better to go further out for different fish. His buddy got married and his free time dried up. He said it was to much for him to launch and retrained by himself so he is wanting to go smaller again. My assumption is he got the boat for a steal, added a trailer and bought a ton of electronics. He said if he doesn’t sell the electronics they re going on his next boat once this one goes. Only had it in the water three times this year. Owned it for. 3 years so aim guess his original trailer crapped out on him. But you know what they say about assuming stuff. After searching and see what others are listed for is it safe to assume I should factor up the cost of trailer motors and electronics and set the price there?

seasick

Reaction score
Those electronics don't look all that special to me just based on the sonar's screen and the size of the chart plotter. The radar may be a newer model.
A quick look at listings shows several 1990 model year boats asking 19-21 thousand without trailer but they seem to have canvas and cushions.
I found one hull only 1987 for $2500 so it seems that a good chunk of the value is in the motors. I don't think those motors have a ton of value but I haven't really looked. NADA may help with their value. My usual advice is that without having looked at a few similar boats) it is really hard to determine relative condition and the value of the whole package including 'options' and accessories.