1987 Sailfish helm area slams even in the smallest waves...

stripedo

Reaction score
I have owned my boat for about 4 years now. It has always slammed VERY loudly in the helm area whenever I go over any size wave. I always assumed it was just a function of the walk around and it was old. I was out yesterday and got really banged around. When I got back I noticed the screws at the bottom of the bulkhead on the driver's side were kind of loose and there was some material on the deck. When I looked closer I noticed the bottom of the bulkhead was slightly rotted and the screws were all loose. I proceeded to lift the bulkhead up and down by lift the helm station. I assume this is what is causing the loud slamming sound. This bulkhead helps support the whole helm station. What should I do? Do I need to replace it or can I fasten it down somehow? Help!

Does anybody else's Sailfish slam loudly?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Very common occurrence (rotted wood), Grady used birch plywood with a wood grain formica cove, later a off white formica cover.

Watar gets to the base and sits there, wicks up, end of story. Happened on my 1988 204C.

I caulked the crap out of my 252G cabin bulkheads.

You can replace it with like and kind, just be sure to double epoxy seal the last few inches and end grain, or go with more expensive rot free materials.

Can't comment on the slamming.