1988 204C overnighter steering

SPYKEKPT

Reaction score
I have a 1988 204C overnighter that needs new steering. Its mechanical and I dont have the money to put hydraulic. Would anyone know what it was? What I should get? And how long of a cable I should get? Any advice will help Thanks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You probably have a teleflex "Big T" helm.

Todays mechanical systems are no feedback type, an improvemnt over the original. Cable and held are sold together.
You get the existing length by reading it off the cable, it is engraved somewhere along the length.

SPYKEKPT

Reaction score
Thanks. It looks like a big-T rotary helm which I found on west marines web site. If I get a new no feed back system will I have to retrofit anything? Or can I buy on that will fit the big-T hole patten?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
STEERING

I agree w/ Bob. absolutely get the No Feed Back, or NFB. They have a clutch in the helm to absorb engine torque so you're not fighting to track a straight line. Measure your old one for accurate lenght.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The cable fits your engine, and the wheel will fit the no-feedback NFB helms. The mounting on the dash may differ, you can check with Teleflex website or others may jump in.

Teleflex may have a dash adapter, if so. Their helm drawings will show the exact mounting design.

I would advise not to use another Big T helm.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an '88 Overnighter and I added Seastar when I repowered and it maybe the best thing I have done to the boat.

That said, the NFB is they way to go. I would suggest that you contact Grady customer service by email and I bet they will give you the cable length needed. Every time I have contacted them about a part or something they have been most helpful.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't know where you are, but you can also call Freeport marine in Freeport, Long Island, NY.

Ask for Mike, explain your situation, want to replace Big T with NFB helm and cable.

They are a Teleflex retailer and distributor, I'm aware of.

I have no affiliation with Freeport Marine, shopped their for decades, was at open house just yesterday.

SPYKEKPT

Reaction score
Thanks. I wont be going back to a big-T. I hate drilling new holes when I dont have to. Maybe I will call teleflex to see what they have. Thanks again for you help.

seabob4

Reaction score
What size motor do you have? If you want 4.2 NFB, I can get it for you cheap. $100 for the helm. I can also get you into a current Baystar system for $485. Anything Teleflex steering wise, let me know.

SPYKEKPT

Reaction score
The motor is a 200 Yamaha. That sound like a graet deal. Are you a dealer? I still have to look to see what length cable I need. What is the best way to get intouch with you? Thanks

seabob4

Reaction score
Click on my profile, then click on "email". No, I'm not a dealer, I am an engineer for a major boat builder. Drop me a line.