1988 24foot offshore -how does this hull handle rough water?

sonny

Reaction score
Power is a Merc 5.7 Outdrive would be a Bravo or Alpha - what outdrive normally gets installed on a boat this large? And speaking of large can 1 person easily handle this size boat in docking - taking off & putting on the trailer? Does have a articulating roller type trailer.

Are there any issues with this year as far as the transom - floor etc? Any thing I should look for?

Appreciate anyone's input

Sonny

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Sonny,

I have a 93 Explorer with a 5.7 Volvo Penta Duo Prop. The Explorer is the Offshore with the SV2 hull. My Dad has a 1988 22 ' Seafarer with a recently repower 5.7 OMC single prop. The 88 Seafarer is not a SV2 hull.
The SV 2 hull definetly rides better into head seas. There is plenty of power with the 5.7 motor. I cruise at 3000 rpm, 24 mph, 10 gph. Top speed will be just over 30. I rarely ever go there. The Seafarer being a slightly smaller boat is faster than mine. The Offshore will pound more, but it will be fine.

The I/O provides a nice weight distribution with the motor inside the boat more. Combine this with the hard top and the boat is nicely balanced in both cases.

Also - both boats have been repowered, the motors and transom shield off, thru hull scuppers replaced etc. Transoms were fine. You should check this before you buy.

Handling. No problem with one person. In backing into a slip the D/P handles better than the single. Respect the wind (and have lines ready) with either and you should not have a problem. The full transom on the I/O especially with a full swim platform is nice for boarding.

Good luck,

Oceanbean
93 Explorer 245 VP VP

whitey

Reaction score
Re: 1988 24foot offshore -how does this hull handle rough wa

sonny said:
Power is a Merc 5.7 Outdrive would be a Bravo or Alpha - what outdrive normally gets installed on a boat this large? And speaking of large can 1 person easily handle this size boat in docking - taking off & putting on the trailer? Does have a articulating roller type trailer.

Are there any issues with this year as far as the transom - floor etc? Any thing I should look for?

Appreciate anyone's input

Sonny

i had a 24,outboard powered.the boat rode awful,it would pound and slap the water,it was the worst riding grady i owned.mine was outboard powered,i didn't know grady made that boat in a stern drive model.my 22 rode better.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Offshore 24

My first Grady was a 1984 24 Offshore with a Merc 260HP IO. It was great boat, excellent on fuel and ran great in all weather. I had no issue in a head sea. When you put the bow down with the tabs it just ate it up. I fished offshore often sharking and tuna trolling 20 - 40 miles out of Fire Island. It was a great boat. I did hear the outboard powered version was underpowered and had some issues in heavy seas due to this undepower. Never a problem with the IO version. Hope this helps. I liked it so much that bought a new 27 sailfish and now have a 30 Marlin.

Good luck.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I have an '84 Offshore w/ the 350 Mag Mercruiser/Alpha drive.
I like the boat.........my prior was a '78 Gulfstream (also an I/O).

I prefer the I/O's.........I replaced engines in both boats in my driveway for alot less than the price of a new O/B.

As far as handling goes, I can handle the boat (docking/manuvering) myself w/o a problem....not sure about launching and getting it on the trailer alone though...I keep it in a slip.

Glad to see my performance numbers are similar to others......I replaced the heads on my SBC w/ Vortec heads........probably pushing 300HP........I camn cruise at 3600RPM @ ~30MPH.......top speed ~35MPH.

sonny

Reaction score
So would the 1984 24 foot OffShore

be the same hull as the 1988 24 foot OffShore? Sounds like you where quite happy with your boats performance & it sounds like in this particular boat having a I/O vs a Outboard is key. How where the overnight accommodations. What kind of fuel burn did you experience?

Appreciate your time

Sonny

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Not sure about fuel burn.........never measured it.......probably ~10GPH.

Overnight?.........never tried it...........think it's kinda tight.

Also.........I said I prefer the I/O's......but just be prepared for alot more maintainance than compared to an O/B...........are you mecanically inclined?.........do you boat in salt water?..........is the engine FWC'd?