1988 Grady-White Repower question

The Kim Marie

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I know there are a lot of questions and ideas about repower on this forum, but here is another one. Thanks for indulging me.

I have a 1988 25 foot Trophy Pro with the original Twin Mercury 175 Black Max installed. The powerheads were replaced in 1994 (Starboard) and in 1996 (Port). The #1 Cyclinder on the Port engine threw a connecting rod bearing cap and pretty much destroyed the crankshaft. It had 1595 hours on it. The Starboard has 1695. Not bad for the era.

So, I first thought, "Let's just go with remanufactured powerheads", but after having mechanic do a thorough inpsection we found that the engine mounting plates and pins are so worn that I am able to move the engines up and down by hand (An inch or so) when they are in the down position.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to keep using these engines with the worn parts on the mounts any longer. I plan on keeping the boat at least another 10 years and I think a repower is in order. I am only considering two-strokes due to weight limitations.

The nagging questions:

1) Repower with used? What horsepower and manufacturer, what year?

2) Repower with new? Same as above.

3) Can I get by with Twin Merc 150 Optimax or should I replace with the same 175 HP or larger (rated for 400 HP I think) of two-stroke genre?

4) Where is the best place to get financing to repower a boat of this age?

Thanks in advance. Any and all opinions and/or advice are welcome. 8)

uncljohn

Reaction score
I repowered my 88 Seafarer 3 years ago. I went w/ a new 2003 Yamaha OX66 SWS 200hp. It was $6K less than a Yam 4-S or HPDI. Considering I put about 100 hrs a year on the engine, pay approx $1000 a year in fuel, a savings of 33% in milage from the 4-S or HPDI options would take 20 years to recoup the xtra $. As it was, I improved my milage from the carbed Yam by about 33% (20 GPH to 13 GPH)

I had to re-fi my entire boat b/c the bank will not finance engines (engines don't have a title). Wasn't a big deal, but then that was before the financial sector went south.

gw204

Reaction score
First, you have to determine how much you want to spend. Keep in mind that changing manufacturers could (depending on what year/model motors you get) also mean having to swap out all the controls, gauges, wiring harnesses, etc. Once you have established your budget, you know what you can and can't look at.

You have had great luck with those Mercs (so have I) and I image that is good for some confidence in the brand. If it were me, I would stick with Merc and start by shopping http://www.almarsoutboards.net/. Talk to Jack.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A repower with new everything is going to be about $30-35K, and swing a 5 yr warranty incl.

Keeping the boat for 10 yrs makes sense to look at this option too.

Sure you are going to keep it this long ?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ask the new motor dealers about financing options.

Otherwise home equity loans or lines of credit work, if you can get one.

uncljohn

Reaction score
My Yam 200 OX66 cost me about $12K with all new controls and steering.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would be shopping for a pair of 200 hpdi's that were take-offs from a repower, IF they had less than 6-700 hours on them. Might get them for around $15K as a pair. I'm just guessing here based on browsing ebay over the years. But certainly about half of getting new ones. You might find a pair of optimaxes the same way.

And yes, you would have to replace the controls too.

If you have a Suzuki dealer nearby you could have them quote motors for you, might be do-able. Nothing but good out there on the brand, and they seem to cost a bit less and weigh a bit less. The heaviest motors are the yamaha four-strokes!

If you have home equity, would be a great use for a heloc. Mine bought my whole boat.

The Kim Marie

Reaction score
BobP said:
A repower with new everything is going to be about $30-35K, and swing a 5 yr warranty incl.

Keeping the boat for 10 yrs makes sense to look at this option too.

Sure you are going to keep it this long ?

Well, I have to keep it until my wife is over the shock. I'm figuring ten years or in the distant future perhaps a trade in.

The Kim Marie

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
I would be shopping for a pair of 200 hpdi's that were take-offs from a repower, IF they had less than 6-700 hours on them. Might get them for around $15K as a pair. I'm just guessing here based on browsing ebay over the years. But certainly about half of getting new ones. You might find a pair of optimaxes the same way.

If you have a Suzuki dealer nearby you could have them quote motors for you, might be do-able. Nothing but good out there on the brand, and they seem to cost a bit less and weigh a bit less. The heaviest motors are the yamaha four-strokes!

If you have home equity, would be a great use for a heloc. Mine bought my whole boat.

Thanks, I hadn't really considered changing brands, but that is certainly worth considering.

The Kim Marie

Reaction score
gw204 said:
First, you have to determine how much you want to spend. Keep in mind that changing manufacturers could (depending on what year/model motors you get) also mean having to swap out all the controls, gauges, wiring harnesses, etc. Once you have established your budget, you know what you can and can't look at.

You have had great luck with those Mercs (so have I) and I image that is good for some confidence in the brand. If it were me, I would stick with Merc and start by shopping http://www.almarsoutboards.net/. Talk to Jack.

Yep, very good luck with the engines. Thanks for the tip about Almars. I'll definitely call, and will definitely see them at the Baltimore Boat Show.

The Kim Marie

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:

I'll check out the Suzis, but I am leaning toward Mercs. Thanks for sharing your experience. That really helps weith considering all possibilities>

Workdog

Reaction score
I've got an '89 Gulfstream which had the Black Max 175 carbed motors on it like yours. Back in 2005, I bought a used 2003 and 2004 CR Merc 150 EFIs for $7,800 for the pair from a private seller. The motors are visually identical (same stickers, colors). The previous owner of the 150s wanted to upgrade to 4 strokers. This has been a good deal for me, and I paid cash for them. The 150s gained me 6 mph increase to 45 mph top end and are quite a bit more fuel efficient as well. I pulled the old ones and hung the new ones myself. The newer motors came with the throttle/shift and electrical cables, however, would have been compatible with the old. I added water pressure guages to match the other original guages. When I was done installing them, I took the boat to a Merc mechanic to ensure the oilers were bled of air and pumping oil, and ensured the motors were tuned.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I had the same thing only 200 johnsons on the back at the time. I was told 150's will make the boat a bit of a pig and worse if 4 stroke 150's. All motors today are good and if you buy used have a local marina install them so they can troubleshoot as they are getting dialed in. Buying motors "any brand" and you have no good dealer within a short distance only will hurt you. And I would not want to be the only guy in the marina with brand A outboards when 90% of the rest are running brand B's. But thats just me.

The Kim Marie

Reaction score
Workdog said:
I've got an '89 Gulfstream which had the Black Max 175 carbed motors on it like yours. Back in 2005, I bought a used 2003 and 2004 CR Merc 150 EFIs for $7,800 for the pair from a private seller. The motors are visually identical (same stickers, colors). The previous owner of the 150s wanted to upgrade to 4 strokers. This has been a good deal for me, and I paid cash for them. The 150s gained me 6 mph increase to 45 mph top end and are quite a bit more fuel efficient as well. I pulled the old ones and hung the new ones myself. The newer motors came with the throttle/shift and electrical cables, however, would have been compatible with the old. I added water pressure guages to match the other original guages. When I was done installing them, I took the boat to a Merc mechanic to ensure the oilers were bled of air and pumping oil, and ensured the motors were tuned.

Great overview Workdog. That's the direction I was leaning toward also. I'll probably stick with 175s if I can. Thanks for the info.

The Kim Marie

Reaction score
RUMBLEFISH said:
I had the same thing only 200 johnsons on the back at the time. I was told 150's will make the boat a bit of a pig and worse if 4 stroke 150's. All motors today are good and if you buy used have a local marina install them so they can troubleshoot as they are getting dialed in. Buying motors "any brand" and you have no good dealer within a short distance only will hurt you. And I would not want to be the only guy in the marina with brand A outboards when 90% of the rest are running brand B's. But thats just me.

Great advice Rumblefish. Mercs, and Yammis are big in my area and plenty of local knowledge abounds.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I repowered my 88 Trophy Pro with 2004 200hp Yamaha HPDIs. I bought them used with low hours and they made the boat seem like new. No more grinding and chokeing to start them more speed power and less noise and oil plus MUCH better fuel economy.

wilson

Reaction score
150 rudes would be fine. your not going to run on top all the time. the new tech on todays motors are like night and day.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
no problem said:

Bet its due to the economic times right now. Heck I had mine for sale for 25,000 and one guy looked at it. He said it was the best 89 he has seen and wanted it real bad. Then he said he had to sell his boat first and never heard from him again.

I just gave up trying to sell and put it back in the marina. :wink: