1989 SAILFISH REPOWER

4tiempos

Reaction score
I HAVE TWO VERADO 250 READY TO INSTALL ON MY 1989 SAILFISH. NEED INFO IF THEY WILL FIT IN THE GRADY BRACKET. ALSO NEED HELP ON HOW TO RIG THEM WITH THE SEA TRAC GAUGES AND DIGITAL CONTROLS FROM MERCURY.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FYI,Twin 250's on an 89 Sailfish will be about 100 HP over the max allowed on that hull.

You can ask Brian(gw204)about all the issues that may come up.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not only the HP but the weight is too much. 250 Verados are HEAVY, they may wind up sitting too low for their own good. Each engine is around #200 heavier than what was on the boat off the line.

I wouldn't put 500 HP on that hull. Some insurance companies have problems with 50 HP over the max, with 100 it will raise some flags. Are you sure the transom and hull is solid?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A drag racing Sailfish, better strap in!

Steel plate the transom, it may have plans of it's own - different from the rest of the boat!

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
4tiempos said:
I HAVE TWO VERADO 250 READY TO INSTALL ON MY 1989 SAILFISH. NEED INFO IF THEY WILL FIT IN THE GRADY BRACKET. ALSO NEED HELP ON HOW TO RIG THEM WITH THE SEA TRAC GAUGES AND DIGITAL CONTROLS FROM MERCURY.

LOL nice first post :wink:

Dont forget to put about 500lbs of lead in the front to offset the weight and also cap off the scuppers.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
RUMBLEFISH said:
Dont forget to put about 500lbs of lead in the front to offset the weight and also cap off the scuppers.

Now that is funny.

With that much increase in wetted surface, she should perform about the same as she would with the right engines on her, i.e. a pair of 200 HPDIs.

Brian

gw204

Reaction score
Your biggest issue will be the weight of the engines. Twin 250 V's are almost 1400 lbs. whereas something like twin '89 Yamaha 200s was only about 780 lbs. That will definiltey have a negative impact on the way the boat sits and performs. If you do it, structurally she will need to be better than new. Plan on an overbuilt transom tied to the stringer grid with huge knees, a custom bracket with the biggest flotation chamber humanly possible and the best stern lifting props you can find.

Secondly, insurance companies won't be anxious to write you a policy. I previously had twin 225s on a '93 Sailfish. I was able to get a policy w/out issue, but then again, I was only 50 HP over the max. I inquired about going to 250s, but was told "no guarantees".

Check w/ your local marine police and USCG about the ramifications of exceeding what's listed on your capacity plate. In MD, the CG doesn't care about HP and the NRP (Natural Resources Police) goes by what the CG does. I originally thought I could get a replacment plate w/ an updated HP rating, but that turned out to be false. Was a non issue because I didn't need it anyway.

You also have to think about resale on an overpowered boat. If you plan to keep it until it falls apart, this won't be an issue. But if you go to sell, perspective buyers will be wary no matter what you tell them.

I wasn't able to sell mine in an overpowered state. But I think a lot of that had to do with another factor that has not been mentioned here. So, I sold the 225s and am now in the process of repowering w/200s. Had I known I was going to be selling 3 years after buying, I doubt I would have bought the overpowered boat. But my original plans were to keep the boat 10+ years and repower somewhere in that 10 years with 200s, run it a few more years and then sell.

Ultimately, it's your boat. So, I say go for it if you want. Mine ran awesome w/ the 225s, so your's will be an absolute rocket. The motors should fit on the bracket (again, I wouldn't recommend the factory bracket though), but I have no clue what's involved in rigging them. They are DTS w/ power steering, right?

Why not trade them in on a set of 200 Optis?