1990 Grady 252G Information

Jamato14

Reaction score
New to the forum, looking for some info on structure of hull on 1990 252g so appreciate any info. I have searched the past 2 weeks daily between google, here and THT and read every thread on them and can’t find the specific item so thought I’d ask where the knowledge sits.
I looked at one that checked all the boxes and is in budget, I loved it, it fits my needs, owner is meticulous, all records/manuals are in ziploc bags in rubber made containers setup with file hangers/organizers etc. he has spreadsheets of info, the list goes on he’s great and has great info and organized.

The one issue I found is when tapping/pushing the sides of the hull around the cockpit it feels like it’s loose. It’s hard to describe but imagine pushing on a half empty plastic bottle where you can feel the outside move in and that plastic flex. Hitting the same spots from the inside is solid as a rock, transom is solid all the way across.

Question is, is this normal on these hulls to have that “flex” in the outside hull cap? Is it a concern? My current boat that just sold was solid all around and my friends 272 sailfish was the same so makes me think the cockpit is a little delaminated? Any insight appreciated. Looking for some advice before spending the ~600 on a survey if it’s a known major issue.It’s on both sides and exactly uniform so hard to tell what it means. Other than that concern it’s the perfect boat for me.

TIA for any advice.
Jim

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
If price is reasonable that one issue probably wouldn’t hold me back. Meticulous owner goes a long way. Can always monitor it and fix yourself if becomes a real issue. If the exterior hull is good, transom/stringers are good, fuel tank isn’t leaking, and engine runs well, I’d ask for a water test. I’d ask why he’d sell his beautiful boat that he’s cared for many years. That boat probably won’t last long if it’s not overly expensive. Think in terms of what you think you could sell it for - min and max.

I don’t know for sure, so listen to others, but in general boat builders in the 1990s were looking to minimize materials costs, save some weight, where possible. It’s probably just not that thick of a shell, because...does it need to be? Is it the floor you stand on, or the side of the cockpit/hull but inside the gunnels?

if you can find a picture of the model to point out the area you’re talking about that would help get accurate feedback on it. Maybe it’s useable as a stepping stone for you for a few years.

Last edited:

Jamato14

Reaction score
If price is reasonable that one issue probably wouldn’t hold me back. Meticulous owner goes a long way. Can always monitor it and fix yourself if becomes a real issue. If the exterior hull is good, transom/stringers are good, fuel tank isn’t leaking, and engine runs well, I’d ask for a water test. I’d ask why he’d sell his beautiful boat that he’s cared for many years. That boat probably won’t last long if it’s not overly expensive. Think in terms of what you think you could sell it for - min and max. I don’t know for sure, so listen to others, but in general boat builders in the 1990s were looking to minimize materials costs, save some weight, where possible. It’s probably just not that thick of a shell, because...does it need to be? Is it the floor you stand on, or the side of the cockpit/hull but inside the gunnels? if you can find a picture of the model to point out the area you’re talking about that would help get accurate feedback on it. Maybe it’s useable as a stepping stone for you for a few years.

Thanks pointedrose for the information. It is the outside hull on both port and starboard sides on the cockpit from about a foot or two behind where the helm enclosure ends to a few feet before the transom. I’ll try and find a hull pic of the model and edit it to show exactly the areas. The cockpit floor is solid and the tanks appear fine. The owner is selling due to lack of use and having another smaller boat that’s easier to use. But he maintains this one still. The goal for me is to have my next boat for 10 years or so. My current/first boat was a CC I had for two years and am looking to step up to have a cabin so don’t mind minor stuff to work on but also don’t want a full project or another stepping stone.

Thanks for the information, I’ll get some pics up soon for a better visual.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks pointedrose for the information. It is the outside hull on both port and starboard sides on the cockpit from about a foot or two behind where the helm enclosure ends to a few feet before the transom. I’ll try and find a hull pic of the model and edit it to show exactly the areas. The cockpit floor is solid and the tanks appear fine. The owner is selling due to lack of use and having another smaller boat that’s easier to use. But he maintains this one still. The goal for me is to have my next boat for 10 years or so. My current/first boat was a CC I had for two years and am looking to step up to have a cabin so don’t mind minor stuff to work on but also don’t want a full project or another stepping stone.

Thanks for the information, I’ll get some pics up soon for a better visual.
I’d have an open mind on it. Wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me probably. If it’s worrisome to you, go for the survey as insurance. ‘90 hull won’t be perfect but there’s many other boats with thinner glass than GW. Probably a better quality boat than many ‘90 hulls out there. If seller has everything working and maintained and you keep up with it, there’s no reason you couldn’t get a decade but expect to do some work on it. Good luck!

side note - I love a CC. Don’t think I’ve spent more than 10 minutes in the cabin since I bought it, but it’s got its benefits I suppose.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the 1992 252G and you got me curious. I just went out and pushed on the sides in same area you mention and it barely has any deflection. Very solid. I don't know if they changed anything from 90 to 92 but mine has the inner liner which is fairly thick that is just on the inside which probably helps it with the deflection strength. If you reach or look up under the gunnel, you can check whether the model you are looking at has an inner liner. If not, then I would say that large flat side panel of fiberglass would have some deflection and should not be any issue.