1995 Mercury 100 HP 2+2

A

Anonymous

I just purchased a 1995 Grady White Spirit with a 100 HP Mercury 2+2 Outboard. It had not been run for about 2 years so I dropped it at a marina to get the carbs checked. He found an electrical problem and it is not firing consistently on the #3 cylinder. Anyone out there have any experience with this motor (or this 2+2 setup). I understand that under 1700 RPM it runs on 2 cylinders. I'm looking for anything on how well this motor performs. I got a great deal on the boat, motor and trailer ($4000) so it is worth some attention. The motor has less than 50 hours on it according to the owner. The cylinders tested at 150 psi each so it seems to be good from that standpoint.

Thanks for anything you can add.

gw204

Reaction score
Steveg said:
I understand that under 1700 RPM it runs on 2 cylinders.

Does your mechanic know that? Does is jump from running on 2 cylinders right to running on 4, or is there a transition range where it fires 3 cylinders?

A

Anonymous

Yes, he's the one that told me about the "feature". I've also researched it on the internet (only found one hit on it though) and it matched his comments. I'm really interested in hearing from someone who has worked on this problem or owns one of these motors.

Vitamin Sea

Reaction score
Website
www.flintrivermarine.com
Mercury made this motor (4 cylinders, 2+2, 2 stroke) from 1988 thru 2007. The motor was sold as 100, 115 and 125 horse power models. It's a good design, mechanically reliable and strong. The 2 bottom carbs are missing one of the idle ports. An accelerator pump helps pick up the cylinders upon acceleration.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
i also think it has a low and high speed stator?
i want to say adi ignition, but i could be wrong

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. With such limited hours I was very concerned that I had bought a lemon. The only other post was VERY negative about the design and I actually was considering repowering the boat before I sunk too much in to getting this running. I may give it a bit more. The marina is supposed to finish up today.

Thanks again