1996 Gulfstream

pmetz

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to site. On the verge of buying a 1996 Gulfstream w/ 250 yamaha salt water 2. Any tips? Thanks in advance.

grady23

Reaction score
Unless your an experienced boat owner, get a survey done and have a mechanic check the engine. A simple compression check will tell much about the engine. Defiantly do a sea trail --- a LOONG sea trail. Try the boat a slow speeds getting on plane should take about 10-12 seconds a 3/4 throlttel or so. I have twin 150s so it's a little hard for me to judge the last one. and last run the boat for about 2-3 minutes at WOT which should be around 5300-5500 RPMs. I would explain all this to the owner ahead of time. If he objects, you might want to keep looking!
Check the interior for leaks and be sure the surveyor checks the transom for ROT or water intrusion.

Jas

Reaction score
The Gulfstream is a great boat, but of course you’ve got to do your homework on a decision like this. Think hull first, engine & steering second… after that electric (wiring) and electronics then plumbing (hoses) cushiness & eisenglass and miscellaneous items. I think that is about the hierarchy of expense if something is broken or needs repair.

Definitely check out those angled cabin windows. I’m betting one or both have a leak, if they haven’t been fixed previously. Also the through hull fittings on the ’96 were plastic originally. If they’re cracked they must be fixed. A real PITA job, but still not a deal breaker. I think with any used purchase it’s not what you know, because you can manage to it. It’s what you don’t know and find out afterward that is the real trouble.

Also figure out if a 250 is enough HP for you. Search the site for discussion of this topic. There are equally good points to both sides of the discussion, but only you can decide for yourself is 250 is enough. Good luck.