1997 Johnson oceanrunner 175hp idles rough

gradyrod

Reaction score
my engine runs like a top at planing speeds, but at low speeds, and at idle is very rough and clunky. Starts right up, but runs rough. Any thoughts gentlemen?

Thanks.

Gradyrod
1985 Fisherman 205

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The carbs have 2 mixture circuits, a low sleed, (adjustable) and a high speed fixed. Sound liike you may have some junk in the jets or.... How long has it been since carbs were rebuilt?

I had the same issues and the carb rebuld did the trick.

3. rebuild the carbs

drmwvr

Reaction score
I have the '95 version of your engine. I agree with the last poster, sounds like your carbs are due for a rebuild.

gradyrod

Reaction score
thanks guys! i took it to a machanic and he did a carb adjustment on the low speed side. now runs great! took him about 15 minutes and I was good to go. he said something about hot weather requires a different setting than cooler weather , and he was trying to get a good compromise setting. anyone heard of that?

Gradyrod

grady23

Reaction score
They may require a small adjustment in colder weather, but NOT MUCH! The standard for most engines is 1 and 1/2 turns from fully closed position as a starting point. From there on, it make take "reading the plugs" to get a better adjustment.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
good to hear it was just an adj,

Actually this model carb engine from evinrude/johnson is 5 turns out from flush. Then make 1/8 turn enrichen increments, when the idles starts to get rough go back 1/8 turn to smooth it out. Always do this while engine is under load ( moving in water) at idle speed.

gradyrod

Reaction score
Details of carb adjustment?

This is great info guys! I would like to know exactly how to do this myself if it needs it again. Forst of all what type of tool do you use, a slotted or philips , or a nut driver?

2. Do you them in any particular order? Which one to start with? Repeat whole thing twice?

3. I assume you turn the screw fully clockwise to close and then Grady 23 said 1 1/2 turns back (CCW). while SFC said 5 turns out (CCW) from flush(I assume flush means fully clockwise).

4. Does opening (CCW) make the carb run richer?

Thanks guys!

Gradyrod

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On mine it was just an allen key head, use the long t handle type with a ball key head. This way it can be slanted a bit for the lower ones.
I would not bottom out the screw unless you did a rebuild of the carbs.

I start with top stb and work top to bottom sets, this is from the book:

This adjustment is NOT a periodic maintenance item and should not be touched unless all other attempts to resolve an idle speed operation problem have failed. The ignition and fuel system components must all be in good condition and operating properly. The carburetor linkage must be properly adjusted before attempting this procedure, for details please refer to Timing and Synchronization in the Maintenance and Tune-Up section.

1.With the engine top cover removed for access (and, on most models, the air intake silencer as well), make a matchmark between the carburetor body and idle mixture screw.

2.Start the engine and allow it to idle until normal operating temperature is reached.

3.Once warmed, shift the engine in forward and run at idle speed for 3 minutes.

4.If the adjustment is too lean, the engine will sneeze and backfire; to correct this, note the reference mark, then rotate the idle mixture needle (low speed screw) 1/8 turn counterclockwise. Wait 15 seconds for the engine speed to stabilize before turning the screw again. Turn the screw until you reach the highest steady engine speed.

5.If the adjustment is too rich, the engine will be rough an unsteady; to correct this, note the reference mark, then rotate the idle mixture needle (low speed screw) 1/8 turn clockwise. Wait 15 seconds for the engine speed to stabilize before turning the screw again. Turn the screw until you reach the highest steady engine speed.

6.Allow the engine to run at idle in gear for 3 minutes, then move to the next mixture screw. Repeat until all carburetor body screws have been adjusted.

7.Run the engine at or near Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 3 minutes and then reduce speed to idle, leaving the motor in gear. The motor should not stumble, spit or backfire. If any of these problems are found, repeat the adjustment procedure, making small adjustments only, until the engine operates normally.

grady23

Reaction score
SFC2113 -- Paul -- OSunds like you've "been around the Block" on this one so I will differ completely. I know my Yamahas are slightly different.