1997 Sailfish with twin Yamaha 225's

ROBH1965

Reaction score
A few questions regarding my new "used" Grady. How or where is the refrigerator powered from? The Port engine raises fine but the Starboard engine labors a bit while raising or lowering. Could there be air in the trim/tilt system? The engines also flop over to the Port side while in the raised position. I have noticed salt water about 4" after 3 or 4 days accumulating in the forward bilge compartment and also the presence of sand in there as well. I am not ready to haul the boat out just yet but was wondering if anyone might have some ideas on these questions. Other than these minor issues we are very satisfied with the boat.

striped bass

Reaction score
Regarding the starboard engine, check the trim motor. If the trim motor housing is heavily rusted, it may be time for a new trim motor. Check with a certified Yamaha mechanic on the replacement process. The whole motor has to be lifted off, I believe, to access the bolts holding on the trim motor.
Can't help with the other issues.

reelserious

Reaction score
I assume your refrigerator is powered the same as on my 2000 Sailfish, which means it runs off your house battery. The on/off/temp setting switch should be in the upper left side of the fridge.

My motors end up tilted from time to time. Typically caused by wave action.

Water in the forward bilge is pretty common, but it is usually fresh water from rain and/or condensation. If you are sure it is salt I would think that is good reason for concern. At a minimum, make sure your bilge float switches are working.

Desperado

Reaction score
When I purchased my Sailfish I was getting salt water in the forward bilge. Turns out I had a leak around my transducer. The front of the boat sits lower in the water at rest, so any leak will go to the front bilge.....i fixed the leak and now it stays dry.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Clean the sand out with Shop vac, it's from anchor use and not cleaning off anchor before stowing.

Open deck plate in cabin floor and reach in and see if any sand it there on bottom, clean it all out, can clog the drain lines back to the bilge.