200 HPDI Engine Questions

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to go with an HPDI over an F, you sounded like you intended to find someone here who would.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as your reply goes, you are refering to old technology 2 strokes.

The MODERN two strokes are as quiet as any 4 stroke at speed, not at idle, similar in fuel consumption, similar in CARB rating, superior in acceleration, lighter by 20% over 4 stroke, added cost of 2 stroke oil but much reduced usage from old tech 2 strokers, avoided cost of 4 stroke lube oil & filter changes.

If you were on the same boat with an F200, then the same boat with a 200 HPDI, you would not likely say they are similar in performance.

I embrace all motor technologies, Yamaha's Fs and any brand 4 stroke 200 HP motor can't match the price, performance, and controlled weight of the 200 HPDI, still today, now more than 12 yrs since it's been introduced and about 8 yrs since big block 4 strokers hit the market place to challenge it.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
you should see the new SHO yami motor

blows the doors off everything out there right now

I got a sneek peak 4 weeks ago and could say nothing, LOL

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I expect it to be at the NY Boat Show in a few months, will check it out there. A good reason to go.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My HPDIs are till 100 lbs lighter, and no reboring transom on twin repowers with Yamaha's unique 29 inch spacing spec.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I has a 200 HPDI on an 85 Seafarer and it was and is today running great. I think I put it on in 2002 and the difference from the old 2 strokes was night and day. Fuel consumption was very good - Turn the key and it started every time even after a winter of rest. I remember speaking to my dealer after the first year and telling him that if exceeded expections.
I now have twin 4 strokes that I love on a Sailfish, however, I do miss the hole shot of the HPDI.
The feedback on the other HPDIs is stick with the 200 or go to a 4 stroke/ The 300 had a real bad reputation and even though the problems were supposedly resolved in later years the reputation lingers.