2000 Grady White 208 Adventure Hardtop - $26,000

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not mine, just saw it when perusing through the Craigslist ads and figured I'd pass it along. Don't see very many with the hardtop on them.

Greatty

Reaction score
Looks like a nice boat I just wonder if the 208 with a hardtop would be underpowered with a 150?

seasick

Reaction score
Looks like a nice boat I just wonder if the 208 with a hardtop would be underpowered with a 150?
Yes. Grady specified a 175 2 stroke originally for a 208 with a hardtop

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On the Grady White website they have a 150 hp outboard as an option for the 208 Adventure as well as also having "performance data" for it. There's also even a picture in the 2000 brochure of a GW 208 Adventure non-hardtop model with a 150 hp Evinrude 2 stroke motor on it and the 2000 model year looks like a max hp rating of 230 hp. In the "performance data" section with a new 150 hp Yamaha 4 stroke and no hardtop it says a 208 Adventure will do almost 41 mph at WOT. I'm sure a hardtop would add a couple hundred extra pounds of weight and probably drop that down to 38 mph or so, but still more than doable if you're like me and don't have to go fast. I'm sure a 200 hp Yamaha is much more optimal but if they can, and have actually seen, them put a 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke on a 228 Seafarer with a hardtop, then I'd have to imagine a 150 hp Yamaha 2 stroke would work on a 208 Adventure. Again, definitely not optimal but still very much possible. Although I definitely wouldn't want to go with anything less in terms of power.

seasick

Reaction score
My 208 with a 150 2 stroke has a very noticeable reduction in performance when loaded with 4 persons, or 2 or 3 even with a mostly full tank of gas and it takes a fairly long time to get on plane,
Adding a hard top and a radar tower could add the equivalent of 1 plus extra persons.
The concern with the 4 stroke 150 is the extra weight off the transom and the balance of the hull. In one respect the hardtop might help better balance the hull though. Later model 208's ( Starting around 2004 I think) have extra weight forward to counteract the extra weight of a 4 stroke. Foe early model year 2 strokes, something like the 200 HP inline 4 cylinder yami 4 stroke is a very nice match.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The majority of the fishing that I do is oftentimes done solo or with a buddy, maybe two at the most... for a total of three people. If you're like me and do the majority of your fishing alone or maybe with 2-3 people total and don't have a ton of gear or extra weight then I'd think you'd be more than fine. For my fishing purposes... I row the row boat out from my cabin to the big boat on the buoy and pretty much start trolling from there. So it's not a lot of long runs that are 30-40+ miles or more and even still, I don't mind going a little slower at say 30-35 mph and being alert to everyone else as well as logs and so forth. One other thing that helps out quite a bit would be having trim tabs installed as well as a different pitch/size of prop to give you a better hole shot. So... for some people it might be a deal breaker with the lower amount of hp but for someone like me that does about 90% trolling and fishing alone? I don't necessarily have to have the extra horsepower.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Needs more engine but I’m seriously liking the hardtop and enclosure .
I have a 225 on mine. It tops out in the mid 40’s but where this boat would be topping out at like 35 mine is just loping along at like 3,800 rpm. Getting along fine at that speed without beating up the engine. Not a fan of long runs with the throttle pegged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Needs more engine but I’m seriously liking the hardtop and enclosure .
I have a 225 on mine. It tops out in the mid 40’s but where this boat would be topping out at like 35 mine is just loping along at like 3,800 rpm. Getting along fine at that speed without beating up the engine. Not a fan of long runs with the throttle pegged.
I’ll add this is why you buy a bigger engine for a higher cruising speed not wot. Wot is for the go fast guys not a fishing boat. But a larger engine will maintain a higher cruise without beating itself up. If you had that 150 you probably find yourself pretty near wot most of the time just traveling. I’d bet in that scenario, cruising at 30-35 mph, the bigger engine is probably getting better fuel economy too.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ll add this is why you buy a bigger engine for a higher cruising speed not wot. Wot is for the go fast guys not a fishing boat. But a larger engine will maintain a higher cruise without beating itself up. If you had that 150 you probably find yourself pretty near wot most of the time just traveling. I’d bet in that scenario, cruising at 30-35 mph, the bigger engine is probably getting better fuel economy too.
Per the Grady White website they say the specs/data with a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on a 208 are:

Top Speed: 40.4 MPH @ 6000 RPM

Optimum Cruise: 26.4 MPH @ 4100 RPM

GPH at Optimum Cruise: 7.1

MPG at Optimum Cruise: 3.71

Vs a 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on a 208:

Top Speed: 44.1 MPH @ 5800 RPM

Optimum Cruise: 26.5 MPH @ 3800 RPM

GPH at Optimum Cruise: 6.4

MPG at Optimum Cruise: 4.17

In my opinion, I don’t really care about the top speed. But it’s interesting how the Optimum Cruise is almost identical in terms of the speed and only 300 rpm higher. The differences in fuel economy/consumption are also negligible with burning less than a gallon more of fuel per hour with the smaller motor.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Per the Grady White website they say the specs/data with a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on a 208 are:

Vs a 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on a 208:

In my opinion, I don’t really care about the top speed. But it’s interesting how the Optimum Cruise is almost identical in terms of the speed and only 300 rpm higher. The differences in fuel economy/consumption are also negligible with burning less than a gallon more of fuel per hour with the smaller motor.
Top speeds seem a little optimistic but the fuel economy being better for the bigger engine doesn’t surprise me and it’s telling.
You’d think the smaller engine would be better on fuel but the fact that it has lower efficiency says it’s struggling. You can interpret that as being underpowered.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Top speeds seem a little optimistic but the fuel economy being better for the bigger engine doesn’t surprise me and it’s telling.
You’d think the smaller engine would be better on fuel but the fact that it has lower efficiency says it’s struggling. You can interpret that as being underpowered.
Oh I'd say it's slightly underpowered but if you look at the specs for the 250hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on the GW 208 Adventure it gets even worse fuel economy/consumption as opposed to both the 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard as well as the 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard. It just goes to show that there's a sweet spot for outboard motors on boats and I'd definitely say that the 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke is the sweet spot. That being said, while yes it is slightly underpowered, a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke is still more than capable of performing in every way that it needs to. Which goes to show that bigger isn't necessarily always better...

150 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

200 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

250 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

Top Speed: 52.7 MPH @ 6000 RPM
Optimum Cruise: 30.8 MPH @ 3500 RPM
GPH at Optimum Cruise: 8.4
MPG at Optimum Cruise: 3.68

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Oh I'd say it's slightly underpowered but if you look at the specs for the 250hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on the GW 208 Adventure it gets even worse fuel economy/consumption as opposed to both the 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard as well as the 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard. It just goes to show that there's a sweet spot for outboard motors on boats and I'd definitely say that the 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke is the sweet spot. That being said, while yes it is slightly underpowered, a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke is still more than capable of performing in every way that it needs to. Which goes to show that bigger isn't necessarily always better...

150 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

200 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

250 Yamaha Four-Stroke​

SINGLE​

Top Speed: 52.7 MPH @ 6000 RPM
Optimum Cruise: 30.8 MPH @ 3500 RPM
GPH at Optimum Cruise: 8.4
MPG at Optimum Cruise: 3.68
I was curious about that. The 250 showing a higher rate is what we’re more used to seeing with a bigger engine. Yes the F200 is the one to have. I know there are those who prefer other brands but the F200 with a 19p prop on a 20’ Grady has proven to be a successful match.
It’s what I plan to go to if mine quits.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was curious about that. The 250 showing a higher rate is what we’re more used to seeing with a bigger engine. Yes the F200 is the one to have. I know there are those who prefer other brands but the F200 with a 19p prop on a 20’ Grady has proven to be a successful match.
It’s what I plan to go to if mine quits.
I think if/when I ever go to re-power because the engine can't be rebuilt or it isn't feasible and I still have my current boat, I'll likely switch to Suzuki. Their Suzuki 250hp 4 stroke outboard I've seen priced at the low end of the spectrum at around $15k, compared to a Yamaha 250hp 4 stroke outboard which is more like $25k. Suzuki also gives you a 5 year warranty vs a 3 year warranty from Yamaha, although I'm sure you could probably purchase an extended warranty for more money. But then again, that's just even more money that you're spending. Hopefully the motor that I've got gives me another 5-10 years before I need to worry about any of that though.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's also interesting in terms of the 228 Seafarer with motors in that the Yamaha 250hp 4 stroke outboard seems like the sweet spot and produces slightly better numbers than a Yamaha 300hp 4 stroke outboard. It isn't by much but the optimum cruise is slightly less on the 250hp at 29mph and 3,500rpm vs the 300hp at 29.8mph and 3,500rp as well. But the Yamaha 250hp 4 stroke outboard is at 8.5gph and 3.41mpg whereas the Yamaha 300hp 4 stroke outboard is at 8.8gph and 3.4mpg. It's a very small difference at Optimum Cruise in terms of fuel economy but at 5,500rpm the gap between the two becomes a bit greater.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I think if/when I ever go to re-power because the engine can't be rebuilt or it isn't feasible and I still have my current boat, I'll likely switch to Suzuki. Their Suzuki 250hp 4 stroke outboard I've seen priced at the low end of the spectrum at around $15k, compared to a Yamaha 250hp 4 stroke outboard which is more like $25k. Suzuki also gives you a 5 year warranty vs a 3 year warranty from Yamaha, although I'm sure you could probably purchase an extended warranty for more money. But then again, that's just even more money that you're spending. Hopefully the motor that I've got gives me another 5-10 years before I need to worry about any of that though.
They better give you a good warranty. ;)
I’ve got a Suzuki now and rebuilding it isn’t an option.
Merc, OMC, and Yamaha, all rebuilable. Not my DT 2 stroke Suzuki. Suzuki connecting rods are pressed onto the crankshaft so if you have a rod failure or crank issue you can’t turn the crank. It has to be replaced as an assembly and good luck finding one because they haven’t been available in years. So when my engine quits due to an internal issue it’s as disposable as a Yugo. The engine that came with my boat quit on me after the first season. I shut it down after fluke season ended, no drama nothing and when I went to fire it up a couple weeks later to go chase stripers it would only turn a 1/4 turn. Moving it with a breaker bar on the flywheel nut you could hear metal on metal contact, it had thrown a rod ! How? When?
It spent the Next season dry while I tried to figure out what I was going to do. By chance I found a guy who bought the same engine, (fully serviced And under 400 hours)for his welcraft. He hung it and the weight almost ripped the wet transom off the boat. He was Just wanting to get out from under his financial mess and cut his losses. His asking price was $4,600 but I ended up getting it for $2,400. Ya he had it up for sale all season and I was his only bite. I told him what I dealt with and if was going to take a chance on his it’d have to be cheap. It was the same model, year, and 100 digits apart on the serial number as mine so all the cables and electrical connections hooked right up. Price and ease of rigging made me take a chance with the same type of engine. You can bet I am especially gentle with this one. Did I do something to hurt the first? Don’t know but I’ve had other boats and didn’t hurt them (??)
So with that said are the new 4 strokes as, fragile? As disposable? Don’t know but once bitten twice shy.
lots of people running the F200 and I haven’t heard one bad thing about them.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They better give you a good warranty. ;)
I’ve got a Suzuki now and rebuilding it isn’t an option.
Merc, OMC, and Yamaha, all rebuilable. Not my DT 2 stroke Suzuki.
So with that said are the new 4 strokes as, fragile? As disposable? Don’t know but once bitten twice shy.
lots of people running the F200 and I haven’t heard one bad thing about them.
I'd say it's definitely a bit of an apples to oranges comparison when comparing an older 2 stroke Suzuki outboard motor to one of their brand new 4 stroke motors. I know Grant Wooldridge of Wooldridge Boats here in Seattle and he recommends Suzuki motors on all of the boats that he sells. He says this because they rarely ever come back for anything other than routine maintenance and if there is an issue, that Suzuki customer service is quite good at helping fix whatever issue there might be.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd say it's definitely a bit of an apples to oranges comparison when comparing an older 2 stroke Suzuki outboard motor to one of their brand new 4 stroke motors. I know Grant Wooldridge of Wooldridge Boats here in Seattle and he recommends Suzuki motors on all of the boats that he sells. He says this because they rarely ever come back for anything other than routine maintenance and if there is an issue, that Suzuki customer service is quite good at helping fix whatever issue there might be.
I have been running a 2012 DF250 Suzuki on my 228 Seafarer the last 2 years and so far so good but I only have 250 hours on the engine. Pushes my Seafarer great fully loaded and lots of low end torque for a great hole shot. A lot of guides are running Suzuki now off the West Coast of Vancouver Island with very good performance. The only bad thing I have heard is the pre 2009 models had head gasket issues at around 1000 hours.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have been running a 2012 DF250 Suzuki on my 228 Seafarer the last 2 years and so far so good but I only have 250 hours on the engine. Pushes my Seafarer great fully loaded and lots of low end torque for a great hole shot. A lot of guides are running Suzuki now off the West Coast of Vancouver Island with very good performance. The only bad thing I have heard is the pre 2009 models had head gasket issues at around 1000 hours.
If/when I go to re-power it'll likely be to a Suzuki 250. Just out of curiosity... any idea what your top speed is as well as fuel economy?

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My current top speed is about 45 mph but I need to raise my motor by about 1.5 inches, not really sure of fuel mileage as I don’t have digital gauges just old school analog. I would like to connect my Lowrance HDS 12 with NMEA 2000 to the Suzuki engine ECM network in the near future to get more engine information, I just need to get to it.