2000 OX66 died on me today, troubleshooting ideas?

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha 2000 250 OX66 and I was out today and the engine cut out...after looking around for a bit the gas was full the fuel filters have been changed, new plugs and fuel water separator...I after the engine cut out I tried to turn it over a few times, no issues with battery power...emptied the vst clear container that holds the fuel filter and noticed there was no fuel filling back into the reservoir when I tried turning it back over, so I am guessing that maybe a fuel pump? No fuel pressure? Any ideas guys?

dgentmach

Reaction score
I have a 1999 SX200TXRX OX66 and the vst tank is not clear, it is an aluminum tank on the port side of the engine
that houses the high pressure pump. Could be the filter on the bottom of the hp pump is clogged, but usually
you would have symptoms before it stopped running all together. When you first turn on the ignition you should be able to hear the pump run for a few seconds before you start the engine. I would check the fuel lines and
the primer ball for any air leaks first, see if you can pump the primer ball to fill the on engine filter bowl.Also make sure you are getting spark at the plugs. You can get alot of info if you do a search on THT for OX66 problems. Good Luck, hopefully something simple.

Greeneyed Pickle

Reaction score
I would start by isolating sections of your fuel system. I always carry an extra primer bulb so I can plug it into sections to see where the problem is. Usually start with the engine side of my current bulb. Make sure I'm getting flow there. If not, more than likely the problem is between there and the fuel tank. If I have flow, it's the other way. Might be your check valve(anti siphon). I just had to change mine along with my inline fuel sensor.

Good luck!

Tim

And as dgent just said, make sure you're actually getting spark.

seasick

Reaction score
I assume you meant the clear filter bown was empty. Two things can cause that: No fuel or an air leak. No fuel can be caused by 'no fuel', a blocked tank vent, a colapsed fuel line, a stuck anti-siphon valve, or a plugged fuel pickup. A clogged main fuel filter is also possible.
If the air vent is plugged, the primer bulb will get soft and usually colapses. A blocked pickup may make the problem come and go.
Try pumping the primer and see if the filter bowl filss up ( it should fill about half way). Let's see how those tests go before we go deeper.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks boys...turns out my digital gauges are liers ...what I think happened was main tank was empty....got air into the system. I filled the vst with fresh gas, changed the inline fuel water seperator, filled with fresh gas. Cut fuel line and added a prime bulb...last owner must have removed it?. Switched y valve on the tanks primed out the air....she fired right up. Went to closest fuel dock filled main tank...were all good !! was out fish last night no issues...hard lesson learned but easy fix, its a learning process...I searched everywhere when I broke down for that damn bulb...that would have solved my issue in 2 secs

seasick

Reaction score
Did the gauge really 'lie'?
Perhaps you misread it:).
If you had a one bar display and that bar was blinking, you could have 20 gallons of fuel or no gallons. In addition, the reading is only accurate when the tank is level. At speed and trimmed up, the gauge will usually display a higher fuel level than you really have.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you have not changed the VST filter and low pressure pumps, I would go ahead and do it now. Just a matter of time before a pump fails and it can ruin a day.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced the VST filter three weeks ago...I will look at the low pressure fuel pumps and do them in the near future...As far as if the gauges were lieing, they were I was level not running at the dock and it said it had a half a tank, maybe 3 bars....im used to these gauges from my fathers boat...turns out it drank 65 gallons and could have taken 25 more the bars didnt move at all...

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would remove the prime bulb??? Really strange.

In the future you might want to make sure the tank switch button on the panel is matched with the y-valve in your fuel line. What is displaying as a full tank could be the tank you're not running. Don't ask me how I know :-|

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good call on the y valve and the switch...yeah I dunno why someone would remove the primer blub, I also have a clear round inline filter, about the size of a roll of quaters between the engine and the inline fuel water seperator...kind of redundent...oh well I plan on taking that out...no need for it.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
No electric fuel primers on your boat? My 98 272 has them. Guess electric primers are not standard ???

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1998sailfish said:
No electric fuel primers on your boat? My 98 272 has them. Guess electric primers are not standard ???

Yep, electric primers are standard issue.

Hey Dave, hope that wasn't your Sailfish that was stolen in OC!?!

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 2001 Marlin 250HP OX-66's. Turned out the I had a Low Pressure Fuel Pump bad (1 for each 2 cylinders). Its just a small diaphram pump but it was unbelievable the diffrence it made replacing all of them on both engines. The issue started out of no where I would have an engine cut off, then it would be fine for awhile and happen again. I spent over $1500 trying to figure the issues out for labor between senders, filters sea trials etc.. Ended up being being one of the three pumps.