2001 282 Interior Water Leak

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am purchasing a 2001 282 Sailfish. There is evidence of a water leak forward on the starboard side carpeted header. It doesn't appear to be coming from the hatch but from an area toward the helm. I'm guessing possibly from around the windshield wiper or the area where the aluminum superstructure attaches to the deck. Has anyone had any experience with something similar to this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Might want to check this post on the forum out, it is about a leak in a 26 islander.

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6565

The problem in this instant was the rub rail, the screws backed out and left room for water to seep in, giving a similar leak into the headliner area. Many Grady models have had issues with the area where the windows are mounted as well, this can also be a source. Unfortunetley, finding the leak can often be a pain and not easy. Good luck, hope that post helps make things a little easier or gives you some ides where to check

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How about where the forward hardtop legs attach? You also have a horn, wipers, snaps, and any other penetrations including the windshield frame.

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it is the where the hardtop legs attach to the deck, how do I access those bolts? Once I access them do I just loosen the bolts, back them out and inject sealant into the screw holes? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You should see staines on the underside where the nuts are.

The answer is yes, and dry and clean the area first. Also, check to see if there are any cables coming down the tube that go into the cabin with a center hole, if so, then you have to find the source of water if it's coming down the tube or around the flange at the base. If you do have the center hole, you will have to seal the entire foot not just the holes and also the source from above if so. Use a wooden wedge to slightly lift the foot.

It's best you spend time with the garden hose to locate the leak precisely before doing all this work. I hear food coloring added to a spray bottel of water works good to help locate leaks, can't vouch for possible staining though.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You would have to talke the screws out to clean the area properly, others may differ.