2001 Marlin Aft Storage Box

mas

Reaction score
The aft storage box in my Marlin finally gave way. I tried to order a new one from my local dealer who informed me that it is no longer made - in 2004 the Marlin design changed - the back bench is different.

Has anyone run into a similar situation and figured out a good solution or does anyone have a spare for sale?

mas

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How far gone is it? Could you use it as a mould, and fiberglass it, sand, and paint? You might be able to get a glass man to make a new one, but at what cost. It will be tough to find something else that will fit, I would think.

mas

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Captain Bill. The rim is what's gone. Forget about getting a glass person to make one - it'll probably be the same price as two deep sea rod/reels! I was thinking of either making one out of wood or trying to salvage what is left with fiberglass casting tape if I can't find a new one.

On the wanted/for sale forum, someone who had a similar issue suggested calling customer service and bringing the part number to my dealer - he had a similar problem on his sailfish.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On a much smaller scale, I repaired one of the insert boxes on my Overnighter that had the same issue. The lip that supported the box had failed.

I took an aluminum angle and ran it around the inside of the box with one leg of the angle facing out over the lip. The other leg was against the side of the insert. I riveted the angle to the side of the box. In my case I had access to a sheet metal shop to bend the support leg to the right dimension and a bit more length on the mounting leg.

This was intended as a temporary fix but it has worked well for 5 years. In fact I was looking at the other box this week end and thought it was about time to do the same to it.