2001 Tournament 192 Battery switch: Location?

cfhewitt

Reaction score
Looking to add a second battery to my 2001 Tournament 192. I understand the dual battery setup was an option on the boat when new, but mine has the single. Can anyone provide insight as to the locations of both the second battery and the battery switch in the original setup? There's certainly room under the starboard jumpseat for a second group 24 battery, but I can't seem to find a "good" location to mount a switch.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

CFH

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Both batteries were under the starboard jump seat, and the switch is fastened to the inside of the transom. Your main breaker should also be fastened to the transom....should be room next to it.

RICHNLE

Reaction score
I am the second owner of my 192, and when I got it, both batteries and the switch were under the starboard seat, with the switch mounted to the starboard inside wall. I noticed that the boat leaned a bit to starboard when docked with the weight of both batteries and the helm on that side. I moved the second battery under the port seat to correct this slight lean. If you do place the second battery under the port seat, the battery cable gets pretty long and the engine turns over slower when started from this battery, so use a heavy gauge cable and keep it as short as possible.

cfhewitt

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies!

I see the main breaker is mounted under the gunwale on the starboard side. The Battery switch is mounted on the same (outboard) surface? The source of my concern is avoiding driving a screw through the fiberglass and ruining the outside surface of the boat. The fiberglass seems pretty thin there.

Guess what I should do is unscrew the main breaker and see how long of a screw was used?

Can't mount the 2nd Battery under the port side, as I have the two stroke and the oil tank and freashwater tanks are there, though this should balance the weight a little.

CFH

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You could mount the switch on the other side...which would be the inside of the splashwell.

I'd call GW customer service and ask them to tell exactly where they mounted them. They could probably tell you what length screw to use, so you don't punch through the transom. :shock:

cfhewitt

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give Grady White a call. I didn't think they would support such a request, but no harm in trying.

Thanks.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
cfhewitt said:
Thanks. I'll give Grady White a call. I didn't think they would support such a request, but no harm in trying.

Thanks.

Prepare to drink the kool aid. I think you will be pleasantly surprised... :D

dlcss396

Reaction score
I bought an oversized battery box from Summit Racing, and mounted the Guest switch in the face of the box, I also installed a fuse panel in the transom to have all of the electronics fused. This enables me to isolate one of the batteries, keeping the reserve for starting.

Be sure to use 4 ga or larger cable depending on the length you need to run.

RICHNLE -- with the slow turning engine- I am guessing you need larger cable. (smaller number)

I saw mention of having both batteries on one side of the boat causing the boat to "list" to that side. I cannot see how the extra ...50#? would make the boat list. It sure does not make my 19' Tournament.

One more way to skin the cat.