2002 228 Seafarer With Armstrong Bracket

Bspdrs

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking at a 2002 228 Seafarer, repowered with a 250 Mercury Verado and it also have an Armstrong outboard bracket. Should i be concern? Do Grady whites ever leave the factory with an aftermarket outboard bracket? Thank you.

Mrwhistle52

Reaction score
Ask the owner. The armstrong isn't the original bracket, but it may be a net positive. I'd be equally concerned about the Verado, several of them I've seen are junk.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Hello All,

Looking at a 2002 228 Seafarer, repowered with a 250 Mercury Verado and it also have an Armstrong outboard bracket. Should i be concern? Do Grady whites ever leave the factory with an aftermarket outboard bracket? Thank you.
Yes, many Grady's came with a bracket. I have something like that on mine. It wasn't recommended to add a heavy 4-stroke to the pod style bracket when I called Grady. This was for the older models that came with 2-strokes. I was told the weight and force should be spread out over a larger area on the transom. It was a big improvement ditching the pod and fiberglass swim platform for an integrated design.

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_152903193.jpg
    PXL_20210720_152903193.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, many Grady's came with a bracket. I have something like that on mine. It wasn't recommended to add a heavy 4-stroke to the pod style bracket when I called Grady. This was for the older models that came with 2-strokes. I was told the weight and force should be spread out over a larger area on the transom. It was a big improvement ditching the pod and fiberglass swim platform for an integrated design.

Any other pictures of the pod set up?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Here is the factory upgraded setup for a '93 Explorer.

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_143431.jpg
    IMG_20180613_143431.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37

Bspdrs

Reaction score
Thanks all for your input. Owner state it was an upgrade from the OEM bracket...wider, stronger and adds floatation.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
That looks similar to the brackets used on post 2012 228's. Looking at the picture looks a little narrower.
The later models have this type of bracket ( I don't know manufacturer) , they are all aluminum and the swim platform is welded to it , that should give it some extra strength. They are longer as well so more flotation but the Verado's are much heavier and with the kicker there extra heavy.
I wonder why the old bracket was replaced, if the boat was in the water most of her life I would be checking the transom with a moisture meter and for evidence of previous repair.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Um, I love the bracket and full width swim platform and fully enclosed stern/transom. everyone has an opinion I suppose of what an improvement is on the boat. lol.

To the OP you can pull the live well and see the other side of the transom and feel around there if you are concerned about the condition of it all.

Reactions: Kabitz60

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Um, I love the bracket and full width swim platform and fully enclosed stern/transom. everyone has an opinion I suppose of what an improvement is on the boat. lol.

Agreed. I lost about 10"-12" dumping the fiberglass platform. The added support was needed for the 4-stroke plus the ladder and being able to remove the platform supports on the sides was nice.