2003 Grady 228 under deck space / Coffin Box

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
I have a 03 Grady 228 without the auxiliary tank. There seems to be a lot of wasted space under the deck. I was thinking about adding a door to access the space under the deck (bumpers, fins, etc). Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any dos / dont that I should be aware. Seems like a lot of space under there that I can use. Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ray leonard

Reaction score
i screwed s/s piano hinge to aft end of aux tank acc dr n a 162 qt igloo cooler with lid removed fit nicely n makes a great underdeck fishbox.i screwed a strap with a looped end under fore inspection plate,i leave a couple inches of loop out from closed plate.when i want to access fish box i pull strap to raise door.it works great n i can go back to aux tank if i choose as no real mods were made other then a few screw holes.we get many compliments on the idea,i dont run offshore 95 gallons of fuel is plenty.its nice having more deck space.good luck with ur decision :D

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
Thanks Ray. Sounds like a great idea. Any chance you could post a picture or 2?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ray, is it possible for you to post a couple of pictures? :wink:

ray leonard

Reaction score
:sorry till we resolve some computer issues im unable to load pics.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
PA020064.jpg

did this with my Seafarer. Really was great as a fish box and a place to store
Gear. I had it put in by Americraft in Daytona Beach FL.
Nick

ray leonard

Reaction score
nic,if u don't mind what did something like that cost ?

jeffjeeptj

Reaction score
Nice storage area. I have a 1996 22 Seafarer without the aux tank. The area shown in NIK's photos has a tank on my boat. My empty area is forward between the helm seats. Maybe mine is different since it is a 1996 outboard version, no bracket. Sticker on tank indicates 92 gallons. Recess in gunwhale has space for an additional filler. That space is forward of the existing filler in the same recess.
Anybody accessed the smaller forward area?

Drifter80

Reaction score
Wow! I love that! I have the same set up as Jeff, empty space forward of that area. I wonder if I could have a smaller access made for that area. Lack of storage is one of my biggest issues.