2003 Grady 232 Gulfstream

Mitch360

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm in the process of considering a purchase of a 2003 Grady 232 Gulfstream. Approx. 400 hours on boat and motor, It's a hardtop, bracket engine w/Yamaha F225. Mid section was done on the engine, swim platform has been re-cored, transom is solid, hatches have the normal nicks, cushions have some cracking. Boat in general needs a little cosmetic TLC to really shine.

I currently run a 2004 Sailfish 218 WAC. I love my current boat but find with the 24 degree deadrise in some conditions it lists and always need to be compensating on the tabs.

I've got a couple questions and looking for some general feedback:
-How does the 9'3" beam ride with a 20 degree deadrise? Does it pound much?
-How does the boat perform with the F225? Is it a complete dog?
-Anything other than the obvious I should be looking for?

Thanks

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I think it will be under-powered. I own a Gulfstream with twin 175hp and it is more than adequate, but not a beast even though it gets out of the hole well. I think you need at least a 250hp with a single, and that would be right on the lower limit. They are great boats with plenty of room for a 23' boat.

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My buddy has one with a F250 and he wishes he had a 300. The yamaha 225 is a weak 225 (closer to 208-210hp). I think you will be running close to 4800-5000 rpms for a comfortable cruise.

get the net

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I've been on two with the F225 and while it will get the job done, it's very underpowered. I believe top speed was 39 mph. I've fished my dad's 2004 Gulfstream for 20 years with twin F150s, and while we always thought they were good power for the boat, he recently repowered with Suzuki 200s and it made a huge difference. Much quicker acceleration, better maintaining speed in swell and we use much less tab as motor trim can hold the bow down if needed.

As for general ride, I am very familiar with your sailfish and you will not have the issue with the boat being tender and needing constant tab adjustment. It rides very well but will slam if you launch it off a wave, which is rare. If the price is right and you don't care about speed go for it, but I feel that boat is much happier with 350HP.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Had a 90’s 23 w an outdrive and a 250 SW series 2 banger. With the wider beam boat was sluggish when in rough seas 4-6’ it was hard to stay on top w one motor. my advise would be to go w twins. Also don’t expect ti have any control w a single screw in reverse on a bracket.

Mitch360

Reaction score
I've been on two with the F225 and while it will get the job done, it's very underpowered. I believe top speed was 39 mph. I've fished my dad's 2004 Gulfstream for 20 years with twin F150s, and while we always thought they were good power for the boat, he recently repowered with Suzuki 200s and it made a huge difference. Much quicker acceleration, better maintaining speed in swell and we use much less tab as motor trim can hold the bow down if needed.

As for general ride, I am very familiar with your sailfish and you will not have the issue with the boat being tender and needing constant tab adjustment. It rides very well but will slam if you launch it off a wave, which is rare. If the price is right and you don't care about speed go for it, but I feel that boat is much happier with 350HP.
Being sluggish and underpowered is the general consensus with the F225.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I have it's little brother, the 228 with a modern f250. When I'm going on tuna runs, full fuel, 22 gallons of extra fuel in gas cans, lots of ice, 3 dudes, I really struggle to get on plane.

My opinion is you will hate that 225 with a passion and repower as soon as you can. I would offer what you feel the hull is worth and let them keep and resell the 225.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Like Lucky said above, I've also got a 228 Seafarer as well as a Yamaha F225 on it, of which I feel like the combination is more than adequate for what I do. It will top out around 45 mph and I cruise pretty comfortably at around 25 mph and am burning less than 8 gph of fuel in the process. That being said, the 232 Gulfstream is considerably bigger than the 228 Seafarer and while the F225 works out pretty well for my intended purposes, I do imagine it's going to be rather difficult to get up and stay on a plane with it on the boat you're looking at. For myself, I've got a beach cabin on Whidbey Island with my parents and leave the boat on a morning buoy during the summer. So, I'll literally row out to the boat in my kayak or dinghy, take the boat off the buoy and then start trolling for salmon from there. Either that, or I'll typically run and check crab pots or go for the occasional cruise with the boat, but nothing more than maybe 10 miles at the most roundtrip while fishing, and the majority of what I do is trolling for salmon. I usually fish very light with only myself and maybe a couple others onboard, 2 Scotty downriggers, 4 rods, a tackle box and so forth. So, while it works well for my particular situation and setup, I don't think the same will be said for you. I'd either buy the boat and repower, though you're likely going to be out quite a bit of money doing it that way, or just wait and buy a boat with twin motors on it. Or you could even buy one with a single 300 or something similar on it.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's not a boat you'll be setting speed records on no matter what is hanging off the aft. It's a 20+ year old motor. Sounds like it has been cared for, low hours and will get you more than you want to go. Have fun with her and learn the boat. By the time you master it, you'll be ready to hang whatever you want on it.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 2004 Gulfstream purchased new with a 225 (at the time the largest 4 stroke available) runs ok with a few adults. However, when I need to replace the power I will definitely consider moving up in horsepower. I did not purchase the boat for speed, but when loaded with 4 of 5 adults getting out of the hole takes some time.

Mitch360

Reaction score
My 2004 Gulfstream purchased new with a 225 (at the time the largest 4 stroke available) runs ok with a few adults. However, when I need to replace the power I will definitely consider moving up in horsepower. I did not purchase the boat for speed, but when loaded with 4 of 5 adults getting out of the hole takes some time.
Thanks for the feedback Ted. What year is your grady?