2003 Marlin 300 transom handle replacement. How do I get in there?

Wrightsfd

Reaction score
Website
www.mastercapkev.com
Model
Marlin
Hello all, recently purchased a 2003 Marlin 300 with F225s. It is my first boat with outboards (other than my dinghy) and I'm happy so far with the boat. Here is my problem: One of the handles on the transom on the outside "wings" has broken from its mount and I'm in process with my local GW dealer to source a replacement. My question to the hive mind is if anyone has replaced this handle before and if they have tips. It doesn't really look accessible to me. Thanks!
IMG_1017.jpegIMG_1017.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You may want to just cut a hole for a pie plate on the vertical section, in the middle of the two ends of the handle. Easy and quick - no issues with structural integrity, either.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Tough to tell what model and what access you have. One option is an 8" Beckson circular cut in the inside side wall. Install the deck hatch when done. Not the best but you'll get access.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's a Marlin. Pretty much no access without risking turning into a pretzel. If you do cut a hole, see if you can access the cockpit drain thru holes. My dealer says to change the hoses, the local glass shop cuts the hull for access from the outside.... Nuts. I'm going to do deck plate thing when I have to....

Wrightsfd

Reaction score
Website
www.mastercapkev.com
Model
Marlin
Thank everyone. GW was able to supply a handle for me and told me I'll need to drill a hole to get access in there. Could be a good spot for some speakers instead of a plate if I match it on the other side. I'll let you know how it goes.

Fishtales

Reaction score
See if you can access the scupper drain thru holes from there if you cut the hole. I'd like to change the hoses on my boat. Wondering if there is sufficient access with an 8" hole.
If you're going to cut a hole, I'd see if I could place it strategically to replace the hand hold as well as get access to the thru holes. Only a matter of time that you'll have to replace those.

Wrightsfd

Reaction score
Website
www.mastercapkev.com
Model
Marlin
Great suggestion, my friend (who owns multiple boats) and I looked yesterday and think his girlfriend’s 13YO son may be able to squeeze past the batteries and get his lanky scrawny arms close enough to get a long wrench extension on the bolts. Will let you all know how that goes, but that may be a month or two away.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Great suggestion, my friend (who owns multiple boats) and I looked yesterday and think his girlfriend’s 13YO son may be able to squeeze past the batteries and get his lanky scrawny arms close enough to get a long wrench extension on the bolts. Will let you all know how that goes, but that may be a month or two away.
Don't make him squeeze... remove the batteries (and anything else in the area) for him! :)

Long sleeves - ideally thick material - there could be loose strands of needle-like glass sticking out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks and good luck with the job. I've been waiting over a year to start it, but just need the nudge....