2004 Yamaha HPDI 200 hp value

eric801

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
just putting the feelers out on what a 2004 Yamaha HPDI 200hp motor might we worth these days. ie spring 2023.
I'm in discussion with the owner about me being the new captain and doing my due diligence. 365 hours, fresh water only. pics show it is clean as, no bangs or scrapes, regular maintenance at a shop, heated garage kept Michigan. the reviews sound like this is a pretty good motor. couple of questions i have would be -how smokey is this motor? i ve been running a 2003 Merc 115hp 4 stroke for many years, what an awesome difference from my old mid 90 s Merc 2 stroke. -fuel consumption, my merc was a pig on fuel, my 4 stroke sips fuel - it is on a Grady 226, Is this enough hp? if i switched out the motor to a four stroke what hp should i be putting on it? 200 would be to small i would think to have any pep. -any other comments?

Attachments

• HPDI outboard aft.jpeg
    HPDI outboard aft.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 32
  • HPDI outboard for sale.jpeg
    HPDI outboard for sale.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

eric801

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
hopefully this edit will have the pics not covering the text

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I'm swapping out my current 2001 HPDI 150 because of bad compression in one cylinder. Before that the motor ran great but it's definitely louder, smokier, and gets worse mpg than a 4 stroke. My current motor has just under 400 hours and I'm looking forward to swapping into a 4 stroke. I also ran a Mercury 115 4 stroke on my previous boat (2006) and it was very quiet and fuel efficient. In my opinion the HPDI's are nice motors but definitely not as quiet or fuel efficient as a current 4 stroke. And I didn't want to put money into a 20+ year old motor.

seasick

Reaction score
In general, that motor is a dependable workhorse. It is a dog on fuel usage though and it has all the traits that were typical with those years of 2 strokes. The smoke isn't awful as long as the oil pump is adjusted correctly. It is loud. They also use more oil than more modern designs of 2 strokes. A rough estimate of it's value to me would be 2000 to 3000 bucks depending on condition and inspection. Don't hold me to that number though. I also think a decent price for a dozen eggs should be about $3:)

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've heard mostly positive things about the Yamaha HPDI motors and that most people seem to have pretty good luck with them. If you're wanting to go with a 2 stroke, I think either that motor or maybe an OX66 would be a decent choice. But like most things in life, I think it's going to come down to the price. How much is the owner wanting to sell it for? If it's anything over say $5k-$6k then I think I'd put that money into a used/new 4 stroke. I've seen a few 226/228 Seafarers with 200 hp motors on them and they seem like they'll manage with the correct sized/pitch propeller, but I definitely don't think I'd want to go any lower than that. I've got a Yamaha F225 on my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer and it does everything that I need it to do. My boat will top out at 45 mph at WOT, though I rarely go much over 20-25 mph so that I can get better fuel economy. I'm thinking with a 200 hp outboard that you'll likely run in the high 30's mph range at best with a light load and maybe low to mid 30's mph range with a boat that's loaded down. It all just depends on what your fishing/boating needs are, some are ok with that and some aren't.

If I were to repower, I'd probably bump up to the maximum horsepower, depending on the price and availability, in the unlikely event that I were to sell the boat as I think more people would be interested in a boat with higher horsepower motors. If you haven't done so already, I'd repost this in the "General Discussion" part of the forum and see what kind of answers you get there, this is the "For Sale/Wanted" section which I'm sure most people probably don't even look at unless they're actively looking for or selling something. Is the motor that the owner has on the boat or off? Can it be run or taken to a mechanic to have it looked over? Or is there a mobile mechanic in your area that can come look at it? I'd hate to spend top dollar on a used 2 stroke that's almost 20 years old now and have it potentially go belly up over the first couple of seasons you use it. In terms of value, I'd try and find something similar either locally or online and see what kind of price range it's in, though again, I can't imagine it would be more than say $5k-$6k. While that's just shooting from the hip, used 4 strokes in that hp range I've seen in the $8k-$10k range. Good luck!