2005 Marlin 300 anchor and rode

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just lost my bow pulpit anchor out near the bell channel in Freeport Bahamas. Any idea what the OEM brand and size of the stock anchor and how many feet of anchor line? What brand of anchor line works best?

I believe there was about 300 feet stock?

I would like to replace as close to stock as possible or if there is a better rig please advise.

Thanks

ahill

Reaction score
I'd contact Grady White with hull # of your boat and ask them.
Next contact windlass mf with model of windlass & ask them.
Windlass chain is different than other chain plus on smaller windlasses the rode is direct spliced to the chain.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A delta fast set 22F anchor is a good match. At least 30' of chain and 300' rode.

JoleGW33

Reaction score
Fortress anchors work great and are really light, I have one on my 330 express. There is a chart that tells you what size anchor to buy for a given range in boat sizes. For rope and chain use what suits best your windlass.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I had a traditional fluke anchor on my Marlin with about 20 foot of chain... I lost mine on the bottom as well... Except for the cost to replace, I was glad I did... I replaced it with a Delta Plow and 50 foot of chain... NEVER an issue anchoring the first time every time... Definitely add the extra chain... makes a huge difference...
The choice of anchor style depends on the type of bottom you usually anchor in... here's a link for a general guide... http://www.anchoring.com/article_info.php?articles_id=4 there are plenty other guides out there too...
The type of chain has to match your windlass...

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks everybody.

Has anyone gone with more than 300 feet of rode? Will additional rode fit into the anchor locker without issue?

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I have heard some guys have put up to 600 feet of rode in their lockers... but I think they also switched to 8 plait since it lays better... I have about 250' and there's plenty of room for more... guessing you should be able to easily drop 500' in there...

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have 300 foot of 1/2 rode with 30ft of 1/4 inch chain. The last 50 or so feet has to be cleared from under the windless or it will jam. I think about 250 of rode would fit with out anyone clearing but maybe I am the only one that has that issue.
Good luck
Nick

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You should easily fit 600-ft of 8-plait rode and 30-feet of chain in that big locker on a Marlin.

It's a tighter fit on our Islander....

Brian

ahill

Reaction score
ocnslr- Are you using a windlass?
If so what is the splicing method to the chain with that line?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ahill said:
ocnslr- Are you using a windlass?
If so what is the splicing method to the chain with that line?

Great questions.

Yes, a Horizon horizontal windlass that I installed.

While I can spice 3-strand to chain, I have never tried - or even looked at - splicing 8-plait to chain. Might actually be easier.

I purchased the entire 600-ft rode with 30-ft of 1/4" chain as a package, from SecoSouth.
http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/mercha...plait-rodes&Category_Code=custom_anchor_rodes

Sold the 300-ft of 3-strand with chain already spliced to it.

Brian