2005 Seafarer 228 Bilge wiring question

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Where is the thru hull bilge outlet? I get water in the bilge, sometimes just a thin, damp layer but other times enough that when I turn my bilge pump on water comes out.

I’m curious if I am doing something that results in extra water coming in sometimes when I wash the boat or possibly stop somewhat suddenly. Can water enter where the cables go from the hull to the outboard on the 228? I have to check the livewell also.

The bilge outlet is on the starboard side up high near the transom bellow the stripes on the Seafarers ( all the ones I've seen) .
The alternative to putting another hole on the side of your hull is to use a bigger outlet a Y and feed the two hoses to that but make sure you have one way valves on both hoses. This should eliminate the water coming in from the outlet on rough seas as well.

When you wash the boat you should wash the bilge as well from front to rear and the tops of the tanks . I run water in the anchor well and that will run all the way to the rear of the bilge. I lift the two plates on the deck to wash the tanks as well. If you do that on a trailer boat you will never need new fuel tanks.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The bilge outlet is on the starboard side up high near the transom bellow the stripes on the Seafarers ( all the ones I've seen) .
The alternative to putting another hole on the side of your hull is to use a bigger outlet a Y and feed the two hoses to that but make sure you have one way valves on both hoses. This should eliminate the water coming in from the outlet on rough seas as well.

When you wash the boat you should wash the bilge as well from front to rear and the tops of the tanks . I run water in the anchor well and that will run all the way to the rear of the bilge. I lift the two plates on the deck to wash the tanks as well. If you do that on a trailer boat you will never need new fuel tanks.

Sorry, my mind isn’t working and was thinking you were referring to something else. However, I never thought about water coming in there and we were definitely rocking/ swaying a lot yesterday that could explain how water got in. When I replace those hoses I’ll make sure there is a valve on it.

I wish my boat was on a lift or trailer but I leave it in the water and have not seen the tanks since I got the boat in the fall. My plan is to do a full cleaning inside of the boat when I take it out this off season. Every time I look in my bilge I think of how clean KY Grady’s boat is in there and can’t wait until I attempt to clean it.