2006 228 through transducer

wavetamer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
what to install a through hull transducer , is there enough room in the bilge area ?? any one have any pics of the install. I have two tanks so that area of the boat has no room , any ideas ???

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A shoot through the hull or a real through hull? Either one doesn't require much area. Meaning, these ducers aren't much bigger than a bilge pump. Pick an area that works for you. Just look down in the areas that you can access. The closer to the keel the better, but just don't put it out near the chines. Stay in the back third of the hull, as well. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward and you can even download the installation destructions ahead of time to take a look at things. Another note (and all this is usually mentioned in the instructions) is to make sure there isn't another thru-hull located in front of it (smooth water needed). Download the manual and read it.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I have a 1984 model. I have a hatch in the rear of the boat on center. I installed a large thru hull transducer on center in front of wash down intake.

See my video at about 4:20

Reactions: Seafarer228_G

Fishtales

Reaction score
May want to check with a dealer and poke around some boats while there. Most boats (not sure about your model) have a flat spot for one to keep it perpendicular in relation to the ocean floor. Another option is a shoot tru transducer - no hole required but you have to locate a spot where you can attach inside the bilge.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
FYI, transducers can be adjusted to offset the deadrise angle (flat spot not required... although does make it very slightly easier. Grady can tell you the angle at the "distance forward of the transom" that you anticipate installing it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wasn't aware that they "self adjust". Usually, you can buy them in different "degree" specs that will work for a narrow range of deadrise (or there's a hull adapter)... meaning, you need to know the deadrise at the spot you're mounting it.

But, aside from that... just git 'r dun, already! Drill the hole in an accessible location, taking into account what's been mentioned above and the owner's manual for the ducer. Where someone else mounted it doesn't mean you have to mount it there. Put it where it works best for YOU. Or, if you're not up to the task, just hire someone - it's about an hour to two hour job, tops, to just install the ducer.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Didn't know about the self adjust either... Learn something every day. What is that hose that isn't connected to anything?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What is that hose that isn't connected to anything?

Live well fill. Live well is removed for pic. Small hose on right is the cup holder drain tube.

Kind of recognize this since I bought David's boat. :D

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Updated bilge with new hoses, ball valves, thru hulls, bilge pump and float switch.
20180726_195316.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I got curious. This is the link to the Airmar (Garmin doesn't make the ducer) owner's manual for the 175. It shows it available in (3) different deadrise options. Wave, is there more to it than what I'm seeing there? It seems as though they are the normal (select the appropriate/approximate deadrise model) kind of transducer?

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-458-01.pdf

Reactions: Ozz043

Ozz043

Reaction score
I have a shoot through for my Gen 3 Lowrance sonar, works no problem at all
The structure scan is a different story though