2006 Sailfish

Off doody

Reaction score
In the process of upgrading my gulfstream and purchasing a 2006 sailfish. I have read some threads re: hardtop rotting and moisture. I mentioned this concern to my surveyor who is surveying this w/e. I'm also having the twin yamaha f250's checked out by a technician. The engines have 210 hours. The boat comes with trailer and full Raymarine electronics including radar. Does anyone have any other known "expensive-to-repair" issues with this boat or engines that I should also be on the lookout for? Has anyone had any other major problems with this year sailfish? Also any opinions on what the purchase price should be?

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was they guy who bought the 2006 last year with the rotted hard top. We are replacing it right now. The problem stems from poor installation practices of stuff on the hard top. It is balsa cored and if water gets into it you will have an issue. The correct way to mount stuff on the top is in a thread I posted in the Tips and Mods that you can read. Even if it is not wet I would not trust whom ever mounted the original gear up there. I would make a project to be resealing all the holes up there and stay on top of it and you will be fine. I would need more info. on the warranties coming with it. But I would think you could get the boat for under $70k.

If you need any more help let me know. Good luck it is a great boat.

Off doody

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Your posts are actually the ones I read and tipped me off to the hard top issue. I appreciate all the info you have posted and hope my survey comes back ok. If it does I will certainly make a project out of resealing every hole in it to ensure it is watertight. The boat also comes with a three axle trailer which will eliminate my $575/yr to have someone haul my boat. My offer of a little over $70k was accepted pending satisfactory survey and engine inspection. Prices for these boats are all over the place. Most of the listings that I have seen are over 100k asking price. If everything goes through I plan on keeping the boat on a slip with shore power hooked up. If you have any other tips or advice with the boat it would be much appreciated.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is a good deal with the trailer you are right where I am with my trailer. Only other area I have found an issue so far is at the hardtop legs in the bow had one leaking and had to just reseal 3 of them. Very easy repair took couple of hours and I have described that with pictures elsewhere in a thread too. Look for rusting on the access plate screws in the cabin.

Only issue I find is getting caught on the chair armrests. It is a little tight there. Probably will remove those for this year and see how it goes.

You will be very happy with the boat. Once you learn how to trim and tab her the ride is good. It is a great family boat. Good luck with the survey.

capeguy

Reaction score
I too bought a 2006 Sailfish last year w/F225 power. It took a little time to adjust coming from a 180, but it is a great boat. You will ove it.

This model year had some issues with cracking in the headliner in the cabin. Something to do with the adhesive they used. The previous owner of my boat had this taken care of (GW did it). I have no evidence of rotted hardtop. I have had some issue with the head and holding tank indicator, but otherwise no issues.

What electronics do you have? Mine has the Raymarine with the C80 display. Coming from Garmin, I really do not like the C80 and the menus. requires way to many buttons to navigate...

Off doody

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Just got the results of the survey. A couple areas of concern. Everything checked out good except Moisture found at two of the thru-hull connections on the side of the hull. Surveyor recommended having them removed and taking a look to see what the extent is. Most likely poor sealing during construction. You guys have any problems with your thru-hulls. Is this something you would think Grady would warrantee? My next step will be to see if the owner will have them removed and checked and to see if grady will warranty the repair.

ahill

Reaction score
Point of info on F250,300 & HPDI.
According to my Yam svc. mgr. when dealing with my recent poppet valve issue on an OX66 225, the poppet valve on the ref motors is mounted behind the ECU.
Due to its relative inaccessibility it is rarely checked and can cause major problems.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Off doody,
I also have a 2006 282 and its a great boat. Congratulations on her if you purchase. I bought the boat in 2009 with just over 100 hours now have around 300. The only problem I have encountered is the holding tank indicator as well. Everything else has been maintenance. I do have a real small crack in my headliner but have been keeping an eye on it and it hasnt gotten any worse. If it does I will notify Grady as I have heard they take care of it with no issue. Again good luck and you will enjoy it!

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Off doody said:
Thanks for the info. Just got the results of the survey. A couple areas of concern. Everything checked out good except Moisture found at two of the thru-hull connections on the side of the hull. Surveyor recommended having them removed and taking a look to see what the extent is. Most likely poor sealing during construction. You guys have any problems with your thru-hulls. Is this something you would think Grady would warrantee? My next step will be to see if the owner will have them removed and checked and to see if grady will warranty the repair.

I did not have an issue with the thru-hulls but I could see how they could be an issue and plan to watch them. Which ones had the issue? Also what was his description of how moist the area showed and how far did it go? I would think where it is clearly a manufacturing thing they may stand behind it. But if it is really isolated to the immediate area and not bad then the repair could be really easy. Depends on the extent and what the survey reported. I would definately make the seller pay for it or drop the price for you to pay for it or walk. It is a buyers market. I am sure it will go your way though and the seller now has a boat with an issue. Post more details from the report and we can all give you a better take on the repair needs. This forum is great for that and there are some true experts here with many years experiance.

Off doody

Reaction score
The moisture was indicated on the starboard side from the stern to about 36" towards the bow. The boat has been sitting on a trailer for quite a while so its hard to believe the thru-hulls are the issue. I spoke to another surveyor and he thought the moisture could also be rain getting in through the rub rail screws. Again improper sealing. The owner contacted a Grady dealer and plans to have it looked at.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Especially if it has been on the trailer seems like it could not be a thru hull. Seems like a pretty big area for a thru hull if it was leaking that bad and for that long I would like to think the current owner would have noticed. When you first asked I was thinking like not more then 6 inches around a thru hull. Good call on the grady dealer. It seems to work magic. I also believe grady follows these threads and it helps too. They stepped up on my issue and it got them a ton of good press. Keep us all posted on the results.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2000 sailfish and was overnighting last summer when I noticed my forward bilge coming on now and then. Discovered the mid port side thru hull just below water line was leaking. It was a royal pain to remove and clean the threads and then I put it back on with new caulk and it is fine. Might be all you need to so. I would let it dry out if wet inside. You also might want to check them all.