2007 Grady Express 300 thru hull questions

mjglawrence

Reaction score
Hi fellow boaters
I have a 330 express. We pulled the boat out for a survey and found that hoses going to the port and starboard thru hulls are very corroded and want to replace. We can’t figure out how to access the fitting that attaches to the thru hull.
Help!
Thanks for any thoughts or opinion.

Attachments

• FBD754DA-F171-446D-B236-9205FC4635F6.jpeg
    FBD754DA-F171-446D-B236-9205FC4635F6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
  • 4C25ADD0-C606-42E9-AD18-2CD724042B13.jpeg
    4C25ADD0-C606-42E9-AD18-2CD724042B13.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • 76050896-595C-4AD1-A82D-EBD5A02425D2.jpeg
    76050896-595C-4AD1-A82D-EBD5A02425D2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

mjglawrence

Reaction score
Also, is it normal to sit so low on the stern. She is full of fuel, water, diesel for generator, and generator.

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those thruhulls are very difficult to access, but not impossible. On the port side, the right size person can access them by removing the batteries from the port side. you will be able to see the fitting through once the are removed and you will nee a very long wrench. Starboard side, you will have to cut an access port behind the door. I suggest you do the same on the port side - i gave up on the long wrench method and cut the port side as well, though the previous owner of my boat did access them through the battery compartment. Adding a pic for reference. As for sitting low, not sure what "so low is", fully loaded the stern will sit lower, yes, it's a lot of weight back there.

That excessive rust around the thruhulls concerns me a bit. You mention the boat was pulled for survey, was the hull moisture tested?

HUDUoGEIRsadrClnt93Meg.jpg

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those scupper thru-hulls in the last pic do seem rather low to me. Assuming the bottom paint is on your actual waterline, I'd really want to understand why you're sitting so low. Is it the same on the starboard side? On mine, those thruhulls are 2-3 inches above.

mjglawrence

Reaction score
Hi Everwhom,
Thanks so much for this. They did do a moisture test and was ok.
Calling Grady today to see if they have ideas for the low stern.
Is yours a 30’
Btw. How do you like your Suzuki’s?

seasick

Reaction score
I am also wondering what the rust stains are. I thought those thrus were bronze with a chrome plating on the outside flange. Bronze shouldn't rust. Perhaps the rust is weeping from inside the bilge from the mounting hardware, nuts and/or washers. Regardless, water is getting into the thru hull hole in the transom. At a minimum the thrus need to be rebedded and the inside of the hole should be checked and probably sealed.
Do you see rust on the inside of the bilge around the thrus?

mjglawrence

Reaction score
We can’t get access to the thru hulls.
Trying to figure out how.
The other post said to remove the battery.
My survey guy thinks the rust is coming from the rusted hoses inside the bilge.
The thru hulls look and appear in great shape. We are thinking the metal in the hose is causing the rust on outside.
When/how we get to the thru hulls on bilge side I think we will find out more.
Great idea that if we are checking those to redo the seals.
Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Interesting! This set up is significantly different than my 2007 330 express. What is the deteriorated hose leading from the pump in the first pic? My 330 has two deck scupper drains on each side aft just forward of the transom and a generator exhaust on the starboard side aft. All well above the water line, even with full fuel, diesel, and water.

mjglawrence

Reaction score
Holy smokes.
Somehow an extra 3 got in there. It’s a 30’

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
PrinceofThieves, I like the access doors. do you have a size and source for those. I'm going to need to do that as well. Is there enough room behind them to use for some sort of storage? Nice looking transom!

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
PrinceofThieves, I like the access doors. do you have a size and source for those. I'm going to need to do that as well. Is there enough room behind them to use for some sort of storage? Nice looking transom!
I ordered the access doors from Boat Outfitters - you can create custom access doors directly online. Here are the specs from my order:

Build Your Own - Starboard Boat Door
SKU:
13770-80003
Qty:2
Measurement Type:Outside
Height:12 1/2"
Width:8 1/2"
Color:Seafoam
Hinges:Width - Hinging Down
Latch Type:Stainless Steel Locking
Bulb Seal:No Seal
Vented Louvers:No Louvers
Latch Qty:1

Those are the outside dimensions. Once you enter those values in their online order form, it will spit out the cut-out dimensions for you.

No much space there to store anything - someone suggested knife storage to me, but I did not see the point in it.

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Everwhom,
Thanks so much for this. They did do a moisture test and was ok.
Calling Grady today to see if they have ideas for the low stern.
Is yours a 30’
Btw. How do you like your Suzuki’s?
Mine is a 330. Suzuki's are great, i'm on my second pair now and could not be more pleased. Good luck!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Stainless steel is not used below the waterline on thru hulls with seacocks for that very reason as it needs to be exposed to the air, or it can bleed rust. Bronze is preferred for underwater thru hull fittings.

mjglawrence

Reaction score
Well after talking to Grady White, they suggested cutting a 6-8" inspection port in the stern as Princeofthiefs di on his Grady.
I'll let you know what we figure out.
Thanks for all the comments and ideas..

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Go for the 8" inspection port. It's easy to think that smaller looks better, but even after cutting a big hole, it's a REALLY tight fit to get an arm down there and you're working blind to get a hand on hose to muscle it onto the though-hull and then a wrench on the hose clamp. Both of my hands were totally torn up with glass cuts after doing this nasty job. Cut the hole as deep as you can (close to the deck).

The wire inside those hoses is most likely the source of the rust on the thru-hulls...and beware, unless you're really good (or lucky), you'll poke your hand a few times with that damn inner wire.

mjglawrence

Reaction score
Thanks!
Do we need to replace with the same metal jacket hoses?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Having done a number of hose clamps with one arm, working blind, I have found that it is easier to use a properly sized nut driver than a wrench. You are coming straight on, so gain the extra length of the tool, and it is much easier to keep it on the top of the fitting.

1556684948208.png

Reactions: drbatts

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
How is the access if you unscrew and open up the panel with the battery switches on? In theory that should get you directly above the those through hulls.