200hpdi's trolling problems anyone?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been having problem's again.... with my 200 Hpdi's. They seem to oil up after a full days trolling and take a long time ie, 15- 60 mins before they start to clear.

As I have had a couple of issues with bad fuel and fuel pumps etc. I am trying to rule out all possibilities..........

Has anyone had any issues with HPDI's oiling up after some prolonged trolling ie. several hours at 1500rpm?

I have checked the obvious, Racors ,etc. and found no fuel supply issues.

The Yamaha dealer/mechanic I use has not seen these probs before with this motor. However the Yammie disributor in Oz says these motors were never designed for prolonged trolling.......Thoughts?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
jekyl said:
I have been having problem's again.... with my 200 Hpdi's. They seem to oil up after a full days trolling and take a long time ie, 15- 60 mins before they start to clear.

As I have had a couple of issues with bad fuel and fuel pumps etc. I am trying to rule out all possibilities..........

Has anyone had any issues with HPDI's oiling up after some prolonged trolling ie. several hours at 1500rpm?

I have checked the obvious, Racors ,etc. and found no fuel supply issues.

The Yamaha dealer/mechanic I use has not seen these probs before with this motor. However the Yammie disributor in Oz says these motors were never designed for prolonged trolling.......Thoughts?

It is my understanding that there was a fix for this by yamaha on early years - resulting in different spark plugs (I believe other stuff was changed)

I know I have the "OLD" unfixed design and mine fouled once after trolling about 16 hours strait - this was after the plugs had about 75 hours on them - when I plan to do this type of fishing now I install new plugs and run it up to cruising speed every 6 hours - no problems

Tim

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We originally had an OX66 on our Islander.

At delivery, the techs suggested that we limit trolling to one hour increments, with five minutes of "fast running" in between. We more or less followed this, at least every two hours. Not too hard when repositioning between striper trolls, anyway.

I think the O2 sensors are the problem when they get fouled.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Never heard of such nonesense, even my old carb'd OMCs from the late 80s and early 90s used to troll all day with.

Looks like the dealer is trying to get you to bite on new motors, obviously new 4 strokers! Just a bunch of salesmen they are!

May have to check the oil rod adjustments and get any updates done.
I know the motor pressure spec had been jacked up from 700 psig to 1000 psig sometime about 2005, don't know why though.

The big block 250/300 HPDIs had problems fouling plugs, not these babies.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
yes they had a fix
you want the twin plugs and upgraded box
yami will know when u call them with serial numbers

Tunacious D

Reaction score
My HPDIs have been flawless on the troll but so were the old 200 carbed Yamis I had before these.

You didn't say what type of oil you use. A full synthetic may also help.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One of the guys (Dick "white bear" ) suggested checking whether the oil rod had been adjusted back after the first 10 hour service . From what he described the setting on my oil rod was the new , original factory setting.
I have just adjusted it to a less oil setting......has anyone experienced this before . He suggested that it was fairly common to find the break-in settings still, on older motors.
I now have approx 1 finger nail thickness at the roller pin. It was previously 3 times this distance.
Any suggestions as to precautions etc.?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would like to try a full synthetic oil next and was interested in the Amsoil poduct as recomended here but it is not widely available here and nearly twice the price of Yamalube. what is Penzoil synthetic like?

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
i have had penzoil gel up, so i do not use

yami is a semi synth and made by a different company this year

Tunacious D

Reaction score
After the first tanks of Yamalube, I switched to Amsoil HP injector oil. I don't really think there is much of a difference but I get a slightly better deal going with the Amsoil. No experience running Pennzoil.

Speaking for newer HPDI's, the owners manual says there is no adjustment, nor are you to add, extra oil (to fuel) during breakin.

PJJR

Reaction score
"yes they had a fix
you want the twin plugs and upgraded box
yami will know when u call them with serial numbers"

yup, give Yam a call.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The dealer should be doing or recommending whatever upgrades are called for. Why didn't he?

No dual settings for the oil rods on my motors, from hour zero. And no oil in gas mix ever.

Don't recall if there ever was one on the HPDIs, don't believe so.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
BobP said:
The dealer should be doing or recommending whatever upgrades are called for. Why didn't he?

My understanding is the that it was a fix for the early ones if people came in with the problem -

I to have adjustments on the oiling rod - I have not adjusted them, one motors smokes alittle more than the other - but not to bad at all...

Tim

wilson

Reaction score
ran pennzoil full synthetic in my 89 john 200's. plugged the oil side of the vro and mix the tank 50:1 . kinda of a pain, just had to watch how many gallons of fuel i put in. other than that they ran great, with maybe a little less smoke at idle. and the plugs always looked okay, i changed them often because they are cheaper than a carbon scuffed power head. no issues with my 200 hpdi's but not many hours either. i use yamalube with them.