2012 Freedom 255 forward bilge pump

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
This past summer I noticed that my Rule Automatic bilge pump cycled on and off alot. This in turn caused one of my batteries to die after just two summers. It seems like just a small amount of standing water will cause this.
I've been thinking about trashing this pump and go with a non automatic pump, with the Ultra Float Switch.

I'm not a big fan of the automatic pumps

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, they do (some of them, anyways) tend to activate sooner than a typical float switch does. You could just raise it a bit by shimming with a few SS or nylon washers. However, the flip side to this is... why is there so much water in the bilge that it keeps turning on? Maybe fix the root cause, instead of treating the symptom. And... use the boat more to keep your batteries charged up! :)

It could, very well, have been something else that caused the battery to die, too.

seasick

Reaction score
The pumps I don't like are the ones that cycle every couple of minutes to 'check' for water.

Dennis's other possibilities are all valid especially the point about where the water is coming from assuming that water is the cause of the pump running. It may not be water just a too frequently cycling pump.
You can do a test by locating and removing the fuse for that bilge pump and monitor the water level in the bilge for a period of time.
If your pump is cycling more frequently that it should and you have it running off of starting batteries, those batteries don't like to be fully discharged as compared to deep cycle. The repetitive deep discharge will shorten the life of starting batteries

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You can do a test by locating and removing the fuse for that bilge pump and monitor the water level in the bilge for a period of time.
If your pump is cycling more frequently that it should and you have it running off of starting batteries, those batteries don't like to be fully discharged as compared to deep cycle. The repetitive deep discharge will shorten the life of starting batteries
Good points - I will "second" them!

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
It is a Napa Marine Duel purpose battery. I disconnected the battery from the quick connect for several days..no change in the water level in that forward bilge. I don't know where the water is coming from in that area, unless it's from the anchor locker and cupholders. I average about 150 hrs over a three month period each summer, switching batteries each time I go out.

I think I am just going to go with an Ultra Switch and non auto pump.I posted this in hopes that someone else with a 255 would have experienced the same proble,.

Fishtales

Reaction score
could always raise the switch a bit. sounds like that is the natural place for water to settle in the bilge. I like an auto, at least you have a fighting chance if something happens when you are not there. I am on a dock with shore power though.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A small, portable solar charger would be more than keep the battery topped off.

But it would still have to be a long, long, LONG time for a pump running ocassionally to kill a big battery. With 150 hours of usage over 3 months, (which is quite a lot) I think something else may be going on. Maybe you want to check for extra current draw or a short somewhere.

My boat sits on a mooring and rainwater DOES get into the bilge so I know that the bilge pump is being worked. I use the boat a whole lot less than you and I have zero battery issues.

seasick

Reaction score
The anchor locker is a common place for water to get in. That can be rain water and/or water from a wet anchor line. You might be surprised at how much water can get wicked up into the line when you anchor.

If it is rain water, it's kind of easy to tell if you can get to the boat frequently to check. With the pump disconnected, see how much water is an there in dry weather and after rain.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
In my 255 Freedom, the bilge water always seems to settle around the front pump area. I have never seen enough water near the rear pump to even activate it. When I pull the garboard plug in the fall, little or no water is ever there. I agree with Seasick that most of the water coming in is through the anchor locker. It takes time but eventually makes it way to the front pump. I actually hose out the locker and rode after a day on the hook in the salt. The floor drain inside the head also drains into the bilge. If I get any mold buildup within the head area I usually spray it with bleach based bath cleaner and then hose it out and then let the bilge pump remove it. So far, no issues with my stock pump but it likely will need to be changed out soon so will follow this thread.

Last edited:

jlflynn1

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
I get rain water in my bilge from the retractable cleats and the anchor locker. I never understood why Grady does not seal off the anchor locker and put a bow drain in with a little scoop cover..... , than you can rinse ur anchor line. I never liked the idea of getting salt water from the anchor line into my bilge.